Ampella bakopa is an ornamental, creeping plant of the birdwort family. It refers to perennials, but in cold regions with frosty winters is grown as an annual plant. Bacopa is home to South Africa, in European countries this plant is quite common among gardeners and decorators. Ampelnaya came to the CIS countries of the Bacopa about 20 years ago and every year its popularity is growing.
General plant information
Bacopa is an herbaceous creeping and climbing plant, whose branches can stretch up to 70 cm in length. The leaves are small in size arranged in pairs on the branches. Painted in a greenish-olive tone.
The flowers are densely arranged on the branches, the petals are painted in white, pink, purple and blue tones depending on the variety.
Flowering lasts almost the entire season and it passes in waves. That is, the buds are tied and unfold abundantly almost simultaneously, after flowering they fall, and new ones grow in their place. Breeders annually produce new hybrid varieties of this plant.
When growing Bacopa in pots or pots, in the winter it can be transferred to the winter in a room with a temperature of about 10 degrees. Wintered plants are well suited for planting and grafting.
Most popular plant varieties
- Bluetopia. Perennial herbaceous plant, the shoots of which are stretched to 30 cm. The leaves are small in size painted in olive-green tone, the flowers are densely arranged on the stems. The petals are painted in a beautiful bluish-lilac tone. Blossoming plentiful and long. The variety is resistant to diseases and easy to maintain.
- Giant Snowflake. Treats large varieties. Perennial, the stems of which can stretch up to 90 cm in length. The leaves are small, green, arranged in pairs on the branches. The flowers are white, large, densely arranged on the branches, when flowering they create a gorgeous falling white waterfall, if grown in hanging pots. In the care is not whimsical, the flowering period of several months.
- Olympic Gold. Perennial herbaceous plant whose branches reach 60 cm in length. The variety is different in color of the leaves, they have a golden sheen, which gives a particular decorative to the bush. Their size is small, on the branches they are arranged in pairs. The flowers are medium sized and painted white. Blossoming plentiful and long. In the care is not whimsical and resistant to disease.
- Snowstorm Blue. This variety can also be attributed to the large. Its branches can reach meter length. The leaves are medium in size, green. The flowers are large and densely arranged on the stems. Petals are painted in bluish-lilac tone. Looks great when combined landing with white flowering large variety. Resistant to diseases.
- ScopiaDoubleBlue. Perennial herbaceous plant. The small leaves are painted in green tone. Flowers have a delicate pinkish-purple color. The stems are drawn up to 40 cm in length. Looks beautiful when grown in hanging pots. Blossoming plentiful and long.
Caring for ampellum bacopa
Bacopa Ampel is very easy to clean. Timely watering and regular pinching of the shoots will make the bush a thick and flowering ball on the balcony or veranda.
Bacopa demanding watering. In nature, it grows in well-humidified areas near water bodies, so watering should be regular and abundant.
In the open ground it is recommended to plant bushes in well-lit places where sunlight will illuminate the plant to the maximum.
The same recommendations apply to the location of pots and flowerpots on verandas and balconies. In shady places, shoots of bakopa will be much longer and thinner, stretching towards the sun, and flowering will be scarce or almost zero.
Amucina Bacopa prefers light fertile soil consisting of peat, sod land and sand. When growing in pots on the bottom it is necessary to pour a good layer of drainage. When planting plants in open ground, it is necessary to wait for consistently warm weather, so that the soil is warm enough. All care for dirt bakopoy is timely watering and removal of weeds. When loosening the land should be borne in mind that the root system is not deep. Therefore, the process is carried out with extreme caution.
For strong branching and increase the volume of the bush and the number of flowers, it is recommended to regularly pinch young shoots.
Before wintering in the autumn, the above-ground part of the bush is cut off almost completely. The pots are transferred to a room where the air temperature is within 10 degrees. In such an environment, the plant hibernates, the growth of the branches stops. Periodically bakopu watered. If the pot is placed in a warmer room, the branches will continue to grow with the same intensity. But the plant can weaken and get sick. Therefore, all gardeners recommend placing bakopa for the winter in a state of rest.
Bacopa ampelous reproduction
Bacopa multiplies by cutting, layering and seed. The processes are carried out easily, as the plant has a good germination of seeds and rooting of branches.
Reproduction using cuttings:
- When grafting, the material is harvested during the winter months if the plant is brought into a warm room for the period of cold weather, or at the end of summer, from August to September. For this fit young shoots, the length of which does not exceed 10 cm, and on the stem are 2 pairs of leaves.
- For rooting, the lower pair is removed, and the branches are placed in water with a stimulating solution for 2-3 hours. After that, the cuttings can be planted in the substrate or moved to ordinary water for further rooting.
- For rooting in the soil, it is first necessary to prepare the substrate. For this fit light, loose, fertile soil. Cuttings are immersed in the soil in such a way that the place where the lower leaves grow is covered with soil, and only the upper leaves remain above it.
- For seedlings it is necessary to maintain high humidity, so a greenhouse is installed above them with the help of a film. Periodically, it is removed for a short time to ventilate the plants and water.
- When young leaves appear, the film is removed. After the formation of 2 new pairs of leaves, it is recommended to pinch the tip of the shoot. This stimulates the plant for additional branching, which later, when landing on a permanent place, growth will give the bush additional volume.
Reproduction using layering:
- When breeding using otvodkov after a short period of time, you can get a new well-flowering shrub. To do this, near the pot with the mother plant put a container with fertile soil.
- Bacopa branches spread on the ground and well attached with an iron bracket. Due to the fact that the branches receive food from the mother bush, their rooting takes place in a short time.
- After a while, the soil is carefully picked up and the degree of root development is checked.
- With a good result, the stems are separated from the parent bush, and the result is a new flowering bush.
Bacopa propagates easily with the help of seeds:
- Experienced gardeners recommend mixing the seeds with river sand before sowing, as they are very light and can cause great losses when sowing.
- The soil needs to be prepared. It should be light, fertile and retain moisture well.
- Seeds spread in a moist soil and slightly pressed down.
- Capacity covered with a film to create high humidity, and transferred to a warm, well-lit place.
- At an ambient temperature of 20 degrees, shoots should appear in 13-15 days.
- After the pair of first leaflets appeared on sprouts, they dive into boxes at a distance of 2 cm from each other.
- The temperature in the room where the seedlings are located must be at least 23-25 degrees.
- The plant is fed with highly diluted fertilizers.
- When young sprouts finally get stronger they can dive into separate containers.
- Seedlings are planted in such a way that the lower node was under the ground.
- After that, the young sprouts of the Bacopa are tempered, lowering the temperature in the room, and after a certain time they can be planted on a balcony, veranda or in open ground.
Diseases and pests
Bacopa is unpretentious plants with high resistance to diseases. In the spring and autumn, she almost never gets sick. Sometimes branches can be affected by aphids.
If insects were spotted quickly, the branches can be treated with a soap solution 2-3 times with a weekly interval if necessary.
If this procedure did not help, then resort to insecticides. Problems can begin in the winter, if the plant is not placed in a cold room. When growing up a bacopa in a room, there is always the threat of overdrying the plant. During this period, it weakens and is attacked by the whitefly.
If this happens, the best option would be to cut off the entire top and place the pot in a cooler room. Additional treatment with insecticides can greatly harm the plant.
Quietly related to the sharp change in temperature. You can grow on the balcony or in the open field. The plant is planted in early spring, and when frost comes, it is dug out and transferred to a cool room for wintering. During the winter at Bacopa there is a period of rest - the growth almost stops, and there is no blooming.
Can grow on almost any soil. But most of all it is suitable fertile, drained, garden land, containing a large amount of humus and having a slightly acid reaction. To make a suitable groundwater mixture, it is necessary to combine leaf and humus soil, as well as peat and sand in a ratio of 1: 2: 1: 1.
After the stem has taken root, nip is done to make the plant more bushy.
How to multiply
This flower can be propagated by seed or cutting.
When sowing, the seeds are scattered over the soil surface (the use of a mini-greenhouse is recommended). The temperature should not be less than 18 degrees. Sprouts appear after 7-14 days. Conducted 2 picks. The second time, the seedlings are slightly buried in the ground.
In spring, the old plant stems are removed and they are used as cuttings. Suter with snow white flowers can be rooted in moistened sand or water. It is recommended that cuttings of other species be pretreated with a root growth stimulator, as well as covered with a film of polyethylene.
Beautifully Bacopa Ampelnaya looks in hanging baskets. Used for decorating fences and walls.
Bacopa leaves and flowers are small, blue, white, pink. Bacopa is a creeping plant, so when it is grown in the soil in each node of the shoot with a touch of the soil forms the roots.
Bacopa goes well with lobelia, petunia, ageratum, nasturtium, fuchsia. Bacopa is grown by lovers of beautiful compositions in hanging pots to form an unusual screen.
Bacopa can be planted as a background plant, highlighting the brightness of the color of nearby plants. It is planted to plants of the stem form. However, as well as a separate plant, it will conquer all with its refinement.
Bacopa directed upwards on a support in vertical gardening is combined with ipomoea and nasturtium. In the garden of Bacopa, the ampelous plant is used to decorate the bald areas of the plot, forming a dense thin carpet. The plant grows quickly and with the help of bacopa you can easily achieve a decorative effect. Juiciness and brightness of the foliage of the Bacopa foliage is created by using various trace elements in the dressings.
Bacopa is grown as an ampelous plant in pots, hanging baskets; it can also be grown in mixed plantings, greenhouses. Bacopa shoots are about 60 cm long.
Bacopa does not need to remove flowers because it can self-clean. The plant is attractive even in the period of long rains, it does not lose decorativeness. Attractive and its small leaves on flexible long shoots.
In the culture of common varieties of bakopa with different shades of inflorescences and sizes of flowers. Bacopa is blue, white, blue, pink, purple, red.
The average size of the flowers is 2 cm in diameter. Flowers Bacopa single pyatilepestkovye. Inflorescences are double-lipped, they form in the axils of the foliage. The leaf plates on the stem of the bacopa are placed in the regular order. Foliage lanceolate, small, whole.
Today has become very popular sprawling bacopa. The work of breeders focused on saturating the flowers with flowers, increasing the size of the inflorescences, removing new flower colors.
New varieties of Bacopa have a red, lilac color. In the center of the flower is a yellow peephole.
Bacopa Ampelous Growing
You can grow a plant as an ampelous and groundcover. If you want, you can direct the shoots of bakopa upwards, setting up supports and fixing the branches with wire or soft twine.
It is best to grow Bacopa in sunny areas, but a little shading is not at all scary. With a lot of shading, the plant will not have enough light, and its shoots can stretch out. Bacopa bloom in the penumbra is not as lush as the sun.
Bacopa prefers slightly acidic soil.
For a lush shape, it is advisable for a plant to pinch growing points.
The distance between the specimens in one pot should be 10 cm. The height of the plant is from 10 to 24 cm. The bush is dense, in the shape of a hemisphere. Bacopa shoots of ampelous species are about 40 cm long, Bacopa is columnar 24 cm high, upright shoots.
Bacopa should be planted in the open air when it is freezing. Potted soil should be kept slightly moist. To overdry earthen room is undesirable. With irrigation in the substrate need to make mineral fertilizer.
The optimal time for sowing seeds is the first week of March. At an earlier planting (for example, in the last week of February), it is necessary to use additional lighting of the crops. For convenient monitoring of soil moisture in containers, it is recommended to use transparent plastic cups for planting seeds.
The soil should be loose, wet, with low acidity. The ideal composition - equal parts of peat, compost (wet), leaf humus. To prevent root rot and other diseases associated with an excess of moisture in the soil, it is recommended to use sand drainage. This material easily absorbs excess moisture. A small layer of sand must be poured to the bottom of each cup, and only then fill it with a soil mixture.
The date of packing purchased seeds is of great importance, since their germination is stored only for three years.
Soaking is necessary for seed material as a disinfectant and prophylaxis against various diseases. The time spent by the seeds in a weak manganese solution is about 20 minutes.
Sowing and picking rules
Sowing of seeds is carried out in a moist soil, after which they are gently pressed and sprayed with a sprayer. Each plastic container with seeds must be covered with glass or plastic wrap and placed in a bright, warm room with a temperature of at least 20 degrees Celsius.
Constant temperature and high levels of humidity should be maintained for two weeks. This time is necessary for the germination of seeds and the emergence of seedlings.
The emergence of seedlings is a signal for transferring containers to a lighter place, for removing glass or film coating, as well as for thinning young plants.
The method of watering seedlings - drip and plentiful. The soil mixture should be constantly hydrated.
The first picking is carried out after the formation of 3-4 full leaves. Plants in this form can grow independently in individual containers with peat soil. When transplanting seedlings into common containers, observe the distance between plantings (at least 2 cm). The transfer of plants to a new place of cultivation is carried out together with an earthy clod in order to preserve the integrity of the delicate and fragile root system.
Top dressings are made regularly. The first - 15 days after the emergence of shoots, the second and all subsequent - every 10 days. It is necessary to use mineral and organic fertilizers alternately. Full development and abundant lush bloom of bakopa depends on the composition of complementary foods. In it must be phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium in large quantities.
The second picking is carried out already with grown bushes, which are transferred to a permanent place of cultivation. Decorative plants will depend on planting density. The distance between plantings should not be less than 10 cm. The root part is recommended to be buried by one node, which will contribute to better rooting and abundant flowering. The cultivation site can be open areas in the garden or flower garden, as well as hanging flower containers or pots.
Bacopa growing in open ground
Рассаду бакопы приблизительно за 15 дней до высадки в открытый грунт необходимо начать закаливать, постепенно снижая температуру, доходя до 15 градусов тепла. Эта процедура укрепит иммунитет молодых растений, которые можно переносить на грядки во второй половине мая. Расстояние между посадочными лунками – не меньше 20 см. With unexpected vagaries of weather and lowering the temperature below 10-14 degrees, it is recommended to use film covers.
The landing site should be a penumbral, without direct rays of the sun, with moist soil (it can be near a reservoir).
Basic Care for Bacopa
- The decorative qualities of bakopa are maintained with regular pinching.
- Withered and dried flowers do not need to be removed.
- Plants require periodic soil loosening. Do not forget about the shallow location of the roots to the soil surface.
- It is recommended to carry out preventive treatment of plants in a spraying process in order to resist pests. When the main pest (aphid) appears, it is necessary to use a soap solution based on laundry soap to combat it.
Bacopa blooming plant is a beautiful decoration of a flower garden, garden, veranda, arbor, loggia or balcony. A little patience for its cultivation will be required only at the initial stage of plant development, when it may be unnecessarily capricious. After adaptation to a permanent place, a rooted flowering culture will become practically unpretentious and will not require much attention.
Bacopa: plant descriptionUsually we decorate our balconies, terraces or gazebos with such familiar colors as viols, petunias, nasturtiums. But it’s much more interesting to add something more rare and exotic to the composition. The flower recently imported from Europe, known to us under the name "suter" (Latin name - Bacopa) is an excellent option for such an experiment!The concept of "Bacopa" covers more than a hundred species of various plants that live in tropical and subtropical zones. The native territories of the suter are Australia, Africa, America, India, Asia, and the Canary Islands, but soon a quarter of a century, as a plant is cultivated by man.
The period of flowering in this culture lasts a long time, and the flowers of bakopa look very nice even after prolonged rains or other weather cataclysms, as the plant is cleaned of untidy, withered buds on its own.
In addition, it is, in general, unpretentious, which is justified by its increasing use in planting trees, decorating aquariums, and in landscape design, including decorating artificial ponds and waterfalls.
In appearance bakopa - This is a bushy plant with long stems, small paired leaves of bright green color and elegant white, blue or pink flowers located along the entire length of the shoot. The flowering takes place in several stages: it starts very plentifully, then the intensity slightly decreases and again resumes even more actively.
Bacopa shoots can effectively fall from a hanging pots or trail along the ground, rooting as you go. Certain inconveniences are caused only by the fact that the plant retains its decorative properties only during the first year of life, and in subsequent years it passes very weakly, so the bush needs to be updated annually.
Selection of varieties for growing plants Bacopa
The most common is bakopa with white flowers. However, selection experiments of recent years, conducted in different parts of the world, have enriched the look with numerous new variations: with enlarged colors, their changing shade, and also varieties with double flowers, etc. have already been bred. And this process is constantly ongoing!
To choose one or another variety of bacopa, you need to proceed from the place of use of the plant and the maximum possible conditions for its full development. So, hybrids with larger and velvety flowers are more capricious than traditional varieties.
Therefore, if you plan to use Bacopa in vertical compositions, it is better to purchase the most unpretentious option, since such a suter has long strong shoots, which, accordingly, will look great even with very small flowers.
If there is a desire to decorate an aquarium or a pond at the site, it is recommended to use a Karolinskaya (Bacopa caroliniana) or Monier (Bacopa monnieri) variety suter - the latter has creeping stems and white, red or blue flowers of very small sizes.To decorate the terraces, balconies and open areas most often used varieties "Blutopia" with blue flowers and "Snowtopia" - with white.
To help you in choosing, let's stop on several varieties of bacopa. For example, “Bacopa is beautiful” (the Latin name is Bacopa diffuses, as well as Vasora speciosa) is a beautiful dense bush of a rounded shape with long shoots covered with medium-sized single flowers of white, blue or pink hue.
In such varieties as Bacopa Snowflake and Cabana, the flowers are larger, and the Heart-shaped Bacopa (Bacopa cordata) has a very large number of inflorescences, with a pink, white or purple shade.
Choosing a place for bacopaWhen choosing a site for disembarking Bacopa, it is necessary to proceed from the fact that the plant will best develop where there is no strong heat in the daytime, but enough light in the morning and evening. To protect the suter from the midday sun, you can use the natural shade that higher plants cast. In addition, it must be borne in mind that different varieties of bacopa react differently to excess sun.
Bacopa is adapted to sudden temperature changes, so it can be grown in open ground from spring to late autumn. However, it should also be borne in mind that frosts below five degrees of frost are already critical for the plant.
The suter belongs to the light-loving plants, and the intensity of flowering directly depends on the amount of sunlight: in the penumbra, Bacopa will feel quite comfortable, but this mainly increases the green mass: the branches stretch out in length, and there will be much less flowers although sometimes in the shade of bacopa it does not bloom at all.
Plant substrateBacopa does not differ in its particular demands on the composition of the soil, but most of all it is suitable for the soil with a weakly acid reaction (pH 6.5). In addition, the land must be enriched with organic matter and have good drainage.
To grow a plant in open ground, it is enough to add peat to it, however, you should always remember that Bacopa grows better in flower pots, especially if you mix sand, humus and peat into the leaf substrate.
Bacopa long shoots can be used both in vertical and in horizontal composition. In the first case, they can be directed upwards and strengthened so that a wall is obtained (for example, fixed over an area of a vertical grid or fence) or, on the contrary, hang a pot with a plant so that the shoots picturesquely fall in a free way. Horizontal planting allows you to make an excellent ground cover plant out of bakopa.
If the suter is grown in open ground, the landing should be carried out after spring frosts.
The distance between plants must be maintained on the basis of the size of the bush forms a particular variety. In any case, in order for him to feel free, it is necessary to leave around him a space with a radius of at least 10 cm, although in some cases it is useful to increase this distance.Landing technology simple enough. Small holes are made in loose and moist soil, after which drainage is filled in to prevent stagnation of water.
From above, this layer is slightly sprinkled with soil, and then the plant itself is placed in the well.
Next, the hole must be carefully sprinkled with earth and lightly tamped. Immediately after planting, the plant is watered abundantly, and afterwards it should be carefully monitored so that the soil always remains slightly damp, as the bacopa practically does not tolerate the hardened and very dry soil.
Watering is perhaps the main thing that bacopa needs. Immediately after planting and during hot periods, the plant should be watered twice a day, while avoiding moisture on the leaves in sunny weather (the best time for watering is earlier morning and late evening).With great gratitude, Bacopa also responds to a refreshing sprinkle, which can also be carried out twice a day, although as soon as the plant begins to form buds, the shower must be stopped.
In the winter period, Bacopa falls into a state of rest, which means that at this time the plant should be watered only as the soil dries.
Fertilizer and dressing
During the period of active growth (spring-autumn), the bakopu should be fed three times a month with organic and mineral fertilizers (in turn).
From mineral supplements, preference should be given to potash and nitrogen, in addition, the plant needs manganese and magnesium for proper development. These elements will make bakopa leaves much brighter, and the plant itself - stronger.
An unformed bakopa with a small amount of shoots does not look too decorative. Therefore, for better bushiness and crown formation, the plant should begin to pinch immediately after rooting, repeating this procedure as it grows. Pinching is carried out at the growth points of the main and lateral branches.
In addition, pruning Bacopa be sure to perform in the event that the shoots begin to grow too long in length. In such situations, the upper or lower parts of the branches become bare, and the plant will lose its decorative appearance.
The maximum length of the shoot to ensure an attractive appearance Bacopa should not exceed 65 cm.
Picking a plant
Before the plant is planted in a permanent place, it is necessary dive bakopu. FirstThis procedure is carried out after the rooting of the seedlings and the formation of the third true leaf. Young plants are transplanted in separate pots or in common boxes, but in the latter case the distance between the seedlings should be at least 2 cm.
Second picks plants are already held at a permanent place - in pots or in open ground. At the same time, sowing seedlings into the soil is necessary for a full-fledged knot, because only in this case the plant will be better strengthened and bloom more abundantly.
After the first picks (After about a week), seedlings can be fed with the same fertilizers as adult plants, but the concentration of minerals should be two times lower than usual. After the second picks fertilizer is already carried out without such precautions.Before planting Bacopa in open ground, seedlings should always temper: if the optimum temperature for seedlings is from +22 ° C and higher, then some time before planting it is necessary to gradually reduce it to +15 ° C, and a few days before moving to the open ground, arrange for seedlings to control the “overnight” at a cool temperature .
As it was said earlier, the suter does not tolerate severe frosts, therefore, winter bakopu can only be saved in a warm room. Moreover, if the plant in time (before the first frosts) to move to more favorable temperature conditions, it can continue to bloom until the New Year holidays.
After that, it needs to be cut and left in a bright and cool room (for example, on a closed balcony) until spring. The optimal temperature for wintering Bacopa is from + 8 ° C to + 15 ° C.
At this time, the suter is resting, almost does not grow and needs little watering. Nevertheless, the soil should not dry out, as for air: if it is not moist enough, periodically the plant should be sprayed.
Second-year Bacopas bloom poorly, so at the end of winter, the plant should be rejuvenated radically, cutting off the cuttings and planting them separately to obtain new copies.
Bacopa grafting is considered to be the best way to grow a plant, as it is quite difficult to grow bakopa from seeds. The procedure should be started either at the end of winter and early spring, or in the fall, when you need to get rid of too long stems.
Rooting of pruned cuttings carried out, deepening them in wet sand or loose soil. To improve the effect, you can first put the cuttings in a container with water, and plant in a container only after the appearance of the first roots (usually this happens closer to the third week).
If the stalk of a white “shallow” suter, for rooting it is enough just to stick it in the ground, then more exotic varieties require pre-treatment with a growth inhibitor, as well as creating a greenhouse effect (covering the container with film), otherwise the plant will not take root.
Sprouted Bacopa cuttings can be planted in the open ground in late spring, when the earth finally warms up and frosts do not come unexpectedly. If, after landing, there is still a sudden cooling, young plants can be covered in order to avoid freezing.
Growing from seed
Bacopa seed sowing needs to start in winter, when the light day is gradually lengthening, and plants wake up after winter dormancy. It is not necessary to penetrate the seed material into the soil, since it is sufficient to superficially locate them on loose, moist soil and tamp slightly.The optimum temperature for germination is not below +18 ° C, although high air humidity is important for the success of the case. In general, to create the necessary conditions, it is better to equip an indoor greenhouse. The first shoots usually appear after ten days.
Experienced gardeners recommend sowing bakopu in transparent containers, because the extra light accelerates germination.
Bacopa does not reproduce too well by sowing seeds, so this procedure can only be carried out successfully by experienced gardeners (with many nuances observed), and therefore it is worthwhile to first find the right video and get the necessary master class.
Medicinal propertiesBacopa has many medicinal properties, in particular, the substances contained in the plant have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, healing, sedative, analgesic, rejuvenating, tonic, as well as antioxidant, diuretic and astringent effect.
Thanks to these qualities of bacopa:
- protects and strengthens the walls of the stomach and blood vessels, neutralizes alcohol and normalizes acidity, improves blood flow, helps reduce cholesterol levels,
- positive effect on energy and plastic metabolism in cells
- stimulates the production of collagen necessary for the skin, slows down the aging process of the skin,
- kills many microorganisms that are carriers of sexually transmitted diseases, as well as diseases of the urinary tract,
- It has a positive effect on the central and peripheral nervous system, in particular: it improves memory, prevents the development of Alzheimer's disease, reduces stress intensity, stimulates cerebral circulation, etc.
Bacopa is a fairly new plant for our latitudes, but at the same time it is very beautiful and does not require special care. Its medicinal properties are still little studied, but the decorative qualities are beyond doubt.
Features of the plant and its popular varieties
- Bacopa can be grown both in the garden and in the room. Some species grow in water.
- The plant does not live long, but it is very easy to reproduce.
- The stem is thin and long - can reach 60 cm.
- The leaves are egg-shaped, small. Their color is olive green.
- Flowers in different varieties may vary. There are tubular and bell-shaped forms, simple and terry, varied in color.
- Bacopa flowers bloom long throughout the season. It occurs in waves: after a massive blooming of flowers, a period of small “rest” begins, during which much less buds appear.
- The fragrance of the flowers is either very weak or completely absent.
Popular among fans of plant species:
Attention! Bacopa varieties with white flowers grow and develop faster than those with flowers of a different tone.
How to care for a plant and what pests it can be damaged
In order for Bacopa to grow and develop perfectly in open ground, the following maintenance conditions must be observed:
- The plant should have enough lighting. If you plant bakopa in shading, the shoots will stretch, there will be very few flowers on them.
- Soil is required with a slightly acid reaction. Best mixture of garden soil and peat (1: 1). If you plan to plant Bacopa in a pot, then in advance you need to prepare the same composition of the soil, but with the addition of 1 part of sand.
- At a young age, be sure to regularly pinch bakopu. This will make the bush very lush and beautiful. When the lashes become too long, they are cut off. During periods of weak flowering and during lignification of the lower part of the shoots also resort to clipping tops. The remaining pruning can be used as cuttings for reproduction.
- A prerequisite for well-being of a bakopa is to keep the soil moist.
Attention! Overdrying of soil in Bacopa plantings is extremely undesirable. Damaged roots may not recover.
- Застой воды тоже сильно вредит растению – при выращивании в вазонах обязательно устройство хорошего дренажа.
- Удобрения нужно растворять в воде для полива. Бакопе лучше всего подойдут готовые комплексы для ампельных растений.
- Выращенные в вазонах цветы на зимовку можно устраивать в прохладное, светлое помещение. Watering and feeding in this period should be much less. Wintering this way, the same bush will be able to please several years.
When growing bakopi as a houseplant, care is not particularly different. The soil is used the same as when grown in garden conditions. Since the roots can rot when watering, in a pot you need a good drainage device.
Capacity with a flower is best kept on a bright window-sill, while the plant is sure to shade the sun. Watering the flower is the same as in the garden. Fertilizer is added to the water every 2 weeks.
The plant is resistant to diseases. However, if non-compliance with the rules of cultivation, it can be affected by various rot. To avoid this, it is not necessary to thicken the planting and water the flower bed too often. Of the pests can be noted aphid and spider mites. If there is evidence of damage from these insects, treat bacopa with insecticides.
Bacopa is a plant that requires constant attention. Only with the observance of agricultural technology can you get the desired result and enjoy the lush bloom all season.
Landing place and lighting
Unpretentious representative of the flora perfectly adapts to our climatic conditions. Very fond of the sun, but is able to grow in partial shade. The lack of ultraviolet radiation leads to a loss of decoration - uneven stretching of the stems, lack of flowering.
For planting pick up sunny, well protected from drafts, the site. You should not give preference to the place near the high buildings. It will shade and flowering may stop.
Soil and dressing
For planting material cut off part of the upper stem. This process is about 9 cm. It must have knots (minimum 2). A favorable breeding season is the end of winter or the beginning of spring. For rooting suitable light and nutritious soil. One node remains on the surface - from which leaves appear, and the second is deepened into the ground to allow the root system to form.
As soon as the top begins intensive growth, it is pinched. Then the green mass grows on the sides. By spring, the plant "settled" in the garden.
Use in landscape design
Its popularity with gardeners, it is obliged to lush and bright bloom. To decorate the garden, succulent is used everywhere. Most often it serves as an adornment of the entrance area near the house or summer terrace. Many gardeners allocate him a place in a hanging pots on the balcony or veranda. In the open ground - this is a groundcover decoration. With its long flowering, it pleases the eye even with the beginning of the rainy season. If you plant exotic near the support, the flowers will rise on it. It can be used as a separation of a garden in several areas. Also with the help of this feature it is possible to hide unsightly walls, buildings or communal communications. In this case, selected varieties with large flowers and growth, reaching up to 80-90 cm. Vertical and horizontal compositions Bacopa look beautiful around stone elements (steps, railings, fence and other structures decorated with stone).
The beauty looks great not only in a solo landing, but also in combination with other green "neighbors" in the landscape. The most common and suitable for her plants:
With them, Bacopa does not lose its beauty in group plantings and multi-level flowerbeds. In a miksborder with roses and chrysanthemums suter favorably emphasizes and emphasizes their beauty. You can plant them side by side on the lawn, like a groundcover. This will create a natural natural style. If you want to have a colorful carpet in the garden, then plant crocuses between Bacopa bushes. They make excellent neighbors.
As an amulet representative of the flora, it serves as a decoration for the entrance and dining areas on the terrace or in the gazebo. From the spreading varieties make original flower beds. They are planted in baskets of old bicycles or hidden trays on benches. Special originals go even further. As a place to plant a flower, they chose unused musical instruments, shoes and even furniture. A wide bright blooming shrub occupies a large area and the design idea looks extraordinary and stylish.