As is known, the hen we are considering today first appeared on the territory of America in 1890, but since then breeding works on its improvement have not stopped for a long time. At that time, cocky fights were still popular in some states, and each breeder wanted to be the first in these competitions.
For a long time, American poultry farmers attracted Asian fighters in order to lead the competition, but they managed to create their own variety, which exceeded and still exceeds the feathered Asians in many ways.
Breeders made a bet not only on the presence of fighting characteristics. They also sought to facilitate the process of breeding, care and maintenance for poultry farmers. For several decades, breeders have crossed Old English, Shamo, Belgian, Cuban, Brazilian and local fighters together. The result exceeded their expectations.
Later, when the American fighting breed of chickens began to travel the world, some European breeders made efforts to improve it. Today, the bird belongs to the sports orientation and is bred for decorative purposes, as well as to participate in competitions and exhibitions. On account of the handsome set of victories in various tournaments, first places and even records!
No wonder I consider the beauty. Chicken hens look very attractive, and because of this they are often kept as decorative ones. They have many similarities with their ancestors and representatives of other fighting varieties, but some of the "highlights" make their exterior unique.
Consider the features of the appearance of beauties and beauties.
- First of all, go to the description of the physique, because it is this quality that distinguishes the fighters favorably against the background of others. The representatives of both sexes have a well-developed musculoskeletal system. Wide skeleton, powerful and large. The shape of the body - oval, streamlined. Rounded sides, bulging breasts and a little bit - tummy, this is characteristic of feathered ladies. The males are tighter, taller, with a flat but wide back and powerful muscles.
- The plumage cannot be thick, does not contain much fluff. In the lumbar region and manes the leaders have the largest number of feathers. But, feathers are shiny, glossy, beautifully fitting the figure of real warriors. There are a huge number of colors, therefore the rules of the standard do not provide for the definition of belonging to a rock by the color of a feather. The most numerous are wheat, golden and silvery. But besides them there are many others. In America, blue, white, Colombian, red, red and motley fighters are registered.
- The head is small in comparison with the body, the face is red-skinned, sometimes pinkish, covered with single bristles. At home, klush and cockerels before exhibitions and competitions deprive this unwanted vegetation. The earlobes are light, the scallop and earrings are miniature, of the same shade as the skin of the face. The main decoration is huge, brown, almost black eyes. The leaders look predatory, with fury, but the squabs on the contrary - their look, rather curious than aggressive.
- Feet of feathery beauties are long, powerful, painted in a gray-yellow shade.
- An average cockerel at the age of two can gain a body weight of up to 3 kg, and his winged girlfriend does not grow by more than 2.2-2.5 kg.
Resistance to diseases among Americans is very high. From the first days, the chicks develop strong immunity, and the indicators of preservation among the young and adult herds are almost the same - 95-97%.
You should not expect that the body of birds will endure and overcome everything - the American fighting breed of chickens will only be able to serve the owners longer with proper prevention.
Advantages and disadvantages
The American fighting breed of chickens quickly enters puberty, the chickens rush relatively well and have absolutely no problems in reproduction issues. For its category, the bird is almost perfect, and the fact that it has an aggressive, brutal character can also be considered an advantage, because we are talking about a sports orientation.
Endurance, adaptive abilities and strong immunity are an added bonus for breeders. It is very profitable to be engaged in breeding such quills on a commercial scale, because with relatively low feed intake, the American fighting breed of chickens performs quite well, the carcasses are very tasty, and there are practically no losses.
Was this article helpful to you? Share the publication with your friends on social networks - they will also be interested to learn the features of martial Americans. Sign up for site updates to be the first to read the latest material on feathered beauties!
Successes and well-being!
In the comments you can add your photos of laying hens, rooster and chickens!
Like this article? Share with friends in social networks:
General breed description
Small English fighting chickens of wide shoulders, body to the tail converges in the form of a wedge.
The neck is long and neat, slightly bent, the plumage on the neck is short and fits snugly to the body. Breast proudly raised, straightened. The horizontal line of the back goes down to the tail section. The wings are set quite high, rounded, tight to the body. The tail is short and flat.
The head is beautiful and rather elegant, the forehead is flat. Beak slightly curved, eyes - red. Legs in appearance are different from other breeds of chickens. They are long, with wide staging, straight in the knee joints, on the paws - sharp claws.
There are varieties of English fighting chickens: with a silver-colored neck, with a silver neck and orange patches in the back, with an orange chest. There are blue individuals with orange plumage on the chest.
These hens deserve their name due to their restless, agile temper, the tendency to "clarify the relationship" with rivals. Due to the powerful muscular chest, long legs, strong beak in cockfighting they have no equal.
The manner of behaving and coping with rivals in English battle chickens is different:
- Fighter accelerates in a straight line, and a strong blow falls on the opponent’s chest and head.
- Rooster runs around an opponentand as soon as he loses his vigilance, surreptitiously strikes him hard. The tactics of the battle are good because the enemy at the end of the battle is completely exhausted and ceases to resist the fighter.
- The fighter chooses a not very noble style of combat, jumps behind and strikes right in the head.
- The rooster tries to use tactics in battle: dodges, bends, hides, but at convenient moments delivers well-aimed blows, like a boxer in the ring.
Content and cultivation
Despite the fact that English fighting chickens are inferior to meat and egg breeds in many respects, they are highly valued and you can buy such specimens not for a penny, but for a decent amount, reaching several hundred dollars.
Chickens fighting chickens grow slowlytherefore, it is necessary to start training not earlier, 8 months after they were born.
Adult individuals reach full physical maturity only by 2 years of age. But in order to successfully participate in tournaments, they need to be trained regularly. It’s not the one who is stronger, but who has the most skills. And this can be seen when the feathered fighters enter the battlefield.
Since the English fighting breed roosters are terrible proprietors, they will not allow an opponent or stranger of another breed into their territory. If this happens, then fighting for life and death will not be avoided, and the victory will most likely be won by the fighter, and the peace-loving guest will suffer greatly.
As a source of tasty chicken meat, this breed is not divorced, because the English fighting chickens do not reach much weight in the process of growth.
Adult male weighs from 2 to 3 kilograms, and the chicken and the less - total from 1.5 to 2.5 kilograms.
Egg weight ranges from 50 to 60 grams.It has a yellowish or white shell. Egg production reaches 100 eggs. Basically, English fighting chickens are used in poultry farming for crossing with other types of chickens - in order to create a new, meat breed that will inherit a strong build and good physical data of fighting breeds.
An obligatory condition for keeping this breed is a warm chicken coop, because these chickens are not protected, like other breeds, by a good layer of plumage. When the fighting chickens are cold, they feel bad, inactive and get sick easily. In comfortable conditions, the hens immediately begin laying eggs.
The dwarf fighting hens also include the Yamato, Touzo and Ko-Shamo breeds. They also have an extended posture, covered with dense and short plumage, have a muscular body and legs.
If you want to grow grapes in the Moscow region, then for this you need to know the climatic features of the area and much more that you can read here.
Where to buy in Russia?
You can buy chickens of English fighting chickens in Russia:
- Taganrog living area. +7 (951) 539-88-71, E-mail: [email protected]
- «Minifarm in the yard, Yaroslavl region, Pereslavl-Zalessky. Tel.: + 7 (929) 996-91-08, +7 (916) 776-19-95, Irina, Alexander.
Getting a household, you need to decide for what purpose the birds will be bred. English fighting chickens will not provide the owners with a large amount of chicken meat and will not be pleased with the number of eggs laid.
But you can always see how deftly the coop leader deals with his offenders. This is a beautiful, decorative breed, the purpose of which is to please the audience with a demonstration of their combat skills.
The origin of the breed
The breed was created in 1890 based on the following fighting varieties: Old English, Shamo, Cuban, Belgian, Brazilian. The result was a breed that was superior in quality to the previously used Asian fighting chickens. The “Americans” not only performed well at competitions, but were also less demanding of conditions.
Appearance and physique
Individuals must comply with the following breed standards:
- trunk - powerful, large, oval in shape,
- sternum - bulging, rounded,
- back - muscular, wide,
- head is small, oval,
- beak - long, thin, bent at the end,
- earrings - small, bright red,
- crest - small, leaf-shaped or pod-like,
- plumage - smooth, rather dense,
- feet - long, powerful, painted gray.
Direction and character
This breed is not in vain considered the best in the world. Both chickens and roosters are brutal and ruthless towards their opponents. They do not have the concept of fear, so they are not afraid to attack targets that exceed them in weight or size. Birds conflict not only with “strangers”, but also within their own socium. And if the chickens are more or less calm, then the roosters will not be able to divide the influence and territory, so they will fight to the last.
"Americans" are not devoid of intelligence, therefore, they can be successfully trained, as well as accustomed to certain actions in a given situation. This allows the rooster to perform better in competitions, anticipating the actions of the enemy.
Color and plumage
The standard does not limit variations in the color of the plumage, as there are a huge number of different combinations of colors and shades. The most common colors are silver and gold.
Feathers are tight to the skin, so the bird seems to be taut and muscular. Roosters have the largest number of feathers located on the mane and lower back. Chickens are deprived of abundant plumage in these places, so their body appears small and thin, and the tail is disproportionately large.
American fighting has the following performance indicators:
- Sexual maturity is 7 months.
- Rooster weight - 2-2.5 kg.
- Chicken weight - 1.7-2.2 kg.
- Egg production - 100-140 pieces.
- Egg weight - 50 g
- Duration of productivity - 3-5 years.
Complexity of the content
Room Adults are undemanding to the temperature of the content, so in the cold season they can do without additional heating. The coop must be ventilated all year round with the help of ventilation. In winter, air exchange should be reduced to a minimum. Straw or special granules of neutral color are used as litter (so that chickens do not eat them). Insulation. This breed is aggressive, so it must be kept isolated from other animals (not only birds). Cocks additionally tied to any support, so that they do not conflict with each other.
Walking In order for physical development to take place at the proper level, and for the representatives of the breed where it was possible to throw out their energy, it is necessary to equip a closed walking yard in which chickens can not only actively move, but also eat. The walking yard is necessary to cover the roof so that the bird does not run away.
It is important to remember that when overfeeding the bird does not get fat. For this breed, the appearance of fatty deposits is uncharacteristic, so do not be afraid of such an outcome. The diet of fighting chickens does not differ from the feeding of universal breeds. They also need to be given combined feeds that are rich in vitamins and minerals. In the warm season, be sure to offer grass, as well as tops of agricultural plants. In the cold season, root vegetables are given, and in the compound feed they increase the dose of grass meal.
In order not to waste time on the creation of their own composition of feed for the "Americans", just buy food for adult birds of the egg direction. When buying, pay attention to the fact that the percentage of proteins and fats should not be high.
From the first days of life, chickens are fed with a mixture of finely chopped boiled eggs with steamed crushed cereals (wheat, corn, barley). Such mash is quickly and easily absorbed, and also fills the body of the bird with all the necessary nutrients.
Also from the first days give vitamins and minerals. If possible, you can offer greens or roots. In the absence of these products, young animals are given premixes in small quantities.
Preparation for the exhibition
In order for the pets not only to fight well, but also to look great, they need to create ideal conditions, namely, to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, regularly change the litter, feed vitamins that improve color.
Long before the exhibition, it is necessary to train cocks and chickens. To train the legs, the individual is placed in big running wheelin which the bird should be a few hours. Also, roosters are taught to respond to sudden movements in various conditions.
It is necessary to check daily the integrity of the skin, the health of the paws and wings. In case of detection of wounds, sprains or fractures, the problem must be solved immediately or refuse to participate in the exhibition / battles.
Disease resistance to disease
In this breed no characteristic diseasestherefore, the safety of young stock reaches 95%. It should be understood that if the bird is in inappropriate conditions, it can become infected with a viral or bacterial infection. Prevention consists in regular disinfection of the room, drinkers and feeders.
Advantages and disadvantages
- rapid maturation compared with other fighting breeds,
- the presence of a developed maternal instinct,
- a strong character,
- undemanding to conditions of detention
- strong immunity
- good egg production (at the level of universal breeds).
- insulation is required, as well as a properly equipped room and paddock,
- Before slaughter, you need to introduce a special diet, so that the meat is soft,
- From September to February inclusive, chickens do not rush.