Cultivating goslings at home is considered a profitable business. Adult birds are used for two purposes - for meat or for eggs. Nestlings reach adulthood in 4-6 months. From the first days they need the right care for the majority to survive. Novice poultry farmers need to remember the rules and recommendations that will help take good care of the goslings. If they are followed, the kids will grow up healthy, and they can be used for their purpose.
Care in the first days
Chicks are born out of an egg for about 28-30 days. Not everyone can hatch, and sometimes a person’s help is needed to extract the bird from the shell. For healthy individuals need good care so that they do not get sick and die. Therefore, the cultivation of goslings from the first day should be correct.
The newly emerged babies should be divided into weak and strong, and then moved to a warm place. The temperature should be about + 30 ° C. If there is a hen, then the strong chicks should be attributed to it after 3 days, and the weak ones should be left for a couple more days to strengthen.
Newborns to keep in a separate place from adults. The first ten days for one square meter of pen should be ten heads. Three weeks later, the territory will increase, now by 1 square. meter settle no more than 3-4 chicks. When birds are crowded, it is inconvenient to eat and drink, the drinking bowl quickly becomes polluted, which is why the young begin to get sick. If you do not increase the aviary, the case is possible
The question of how to care for goslings at home, worries many novice poultry farmers. Immediately after giving birth, let the young ones dry, and a day later try feeding. The first food will be corn grits and a boiled egg. It is possible to give fresh grass and chopped grains that have undergone heat treatment for 3 days. Food should be crumbly, glued version is unacceptable.
It is necessary to ensure that all birds eat. Individuals who refuse to food, feed in a separate box.
Kids need water. They can not only drink it, but also swim in it practically from the first days. However, it is undesirable that they now splash in liquid. Therefore, it is better to install a vacuum drinker, which they do not turn over.
Starting to take the kids to walk, when they get a little stronger, they will stand well on their paws and move actively. It will happen in about a week. It will be useful for them to spend 20-30 minutes in the meadow, where they can eat grass and get some fresh air. Portable enclosure will be a good help for a small herd. The chicks actively peck the grass, because it is their main diet. If it is not possible to release a bird in a pond, install wide tanks. In hot weather, geese will swim, which will greatly facilitate their maintenance.
If the content of the goslings is at a decent level, the chicks will gain weight in about 60 days. Two months after birth, they already weigh between 3 kg and more. At three months of age, the bird can be cut. At this time, body fat is very small, and the meat is tender and juicy. Finally, the geese will be older in 5 months after hatching.
Proper nutrition for goslings
Growing goslings at home will be successful if properly fed. The first few days after birth is recommended to give feed mixtures.
In their composition should be:
- cottage cheese,
- split peas,
- oat groats.
Mix in moist green fodder, as well as potatoes and pumpkin. After three weeks, offer the chicks food waste.
In order for the birds to grow up healthy, it is necessary to add vitamins A, D, E, B. Pay attention that they already contain in some feeds. To strengthen the immune system, dilute several grams of biomitsin and penicillin in a glass of milk, adding some sugar. In this form, give antibiotics to chicks.
Do not forget about compulsory walking. Fresh green grass is an excellent source of vitamins. If you can not send the kids to the meadow, then independently tear the grass and throw in the aviary. Then the question of how to grow goslings at home healthy and strong, will be simplified.
Where and how to contain?
For growing goslings at home, pick a special place. Prepare a separate, well-heated room. The temperature of the first week to keep not lower than 30 ° C. With age, this will not be so important, but for now the kids should be kept warm. On the 6th day of life, reduce the temperature to 24 ° С, and on the 11th day to 20 ° С. Grown up chicks do not overheat, otherwise their development will slow down. As for humidity, its limit is 75%. In this case, good ventilation is required. Provide fresh air, ventilate the room several times a day.
Do not turn off the lights for 14 hours a day. In the light of the chicks eat more and grow faster. If there is no light at night, then it will be difficult for them to find their bowls to eat.
Information on growing goslings at home for beginners will be useful. The above tips and advice will warn against errors. Although proper care for chicks is a painstaking matter, but it will help grow healthy youngsters.
Self-breeding goslings at home
Geese are distinguished not only by their productivity, but also by their rapid adaptation to the environment of their content. At home, these unpretentious wards can grow with a hen or in an incubator. Consider both options.
It is much easier to breed young offspring with the help of a goose-hen. But if there is no such possibility, an artificial apparatus will help out. Breeders should be prepared for the expected problems, because the eggs of this bird are large in size and contain many useful substances. Together, these factors affect the ratio of hatched chicks and the number of egg-laying. Normally, the figure is 70 percent. You can increase it, knowing how to lay eggs in the trays of the device, and how to take care of them in the future. Novice poultry farmers should take into account the peculiarities of the incubator breeding of goslings:
- For these purposes, for only 10 days, only fresh eggs with the correct oblong-oval shape are selected. They should never be washed, but disinfection with a weak solution of potassium permanganate is allowed.
- 3-4 hours before the bookmark, the incubator is heated to a temperature of +39 ° C.
- During the laying of eggs, it is important to ensure that the lid of the apparatus does not damage the shell, which often happens because of their large size.
- After all the selected specimens are placed in the egg trays, the device should be in the temperature regime of + 38 ° C for 4–5 hours. Then, in order to avoid overheating, this indicator is first reduced to +37.2 ° С, and after 1-2 hours to +37.5 ° С.
- It is important that each egg warms evenly. This problem is solved by itself in automatic incubators, and in semi-automatic and primitive simple models, the owner must carry out the process of turning the eggs at least 6–8 times during the day. Otherwise, the favorable environment for the correct development of the embryo will be disturbed, and the overheated shells will adhere to the adjacent parts of the incubator.
- After a 15-day period, incubators of any brand and design must be aired.
This method of breeding domestic geese in the poultry industry is considered very easy and does not require additional intervention in natural processes. But sometimes it happens that the goose has poorly developed maternal instincts. Then it is better to use an incubator. If this problem has not touched you, you should take care of comfortable conditions in the house. It is important that the room is always dry and clean, and the thermometer mark never fell below 14–15 ° С heat. Ventilate it periodically and do not overload the hen's nest with eggs. One individual can sit a maximum of 14 chicks.
It is better to isolate it from other feathered brethren so that the birds will have access to water and food. Ensure that there is fresh water in the drinker every day.
The brood will be born only after 28 days, so do not leave the goose for a long time without food. If necessary, she should go for a walk and this should not be hindered. But after 10-15 minutes, the hen must necessarily return to its place.
Prefer for chicks Toulouse, Kholmogory and Linda geese breeds. They independently roll eggs to heat them evenly and faithfully fulfill their mission.
How to care for goslings from the first days
From the first days the hatched chicks require additional care. Otherwise, the brood may die. How to prevent mortality, and what should the poultry farmer do at this stage?
Even with a synchronous magnifying glass, you should not leave the goslings in the nest in the nest. They are immediately taken to separate box and heat tube way. They will return to the hen when the last goose from the clutch appears. Experienced gusevody advised to return mother brood in the evening.
In the future, the maintenance of the new family should be carried out in a separate pen. For this, a small shed will fit, in which you first need to disinfect the walls with lime. This bird has a roof over its head and a clean, dry corner.
Keep in mind that too cramped conditions are the most common cause of death of young animals, so immediately distribute the area correctly.
Experts recommend placing birds per square meter:
- 10 goslings from 1 to 30 days old,
- 4 geese aged 1 to 2 months
- 2 geese older than 60 days.
It is advisable to lay the floor in the pen with a layer of straw, 10–15 centimeters thick. If the street has not yet established consistently warm weather, it will not be out of place to have a hot water bottle. Indoors cleanliness is important, so clean the dirty litter in a timely manner and monitor the air temperature.
It is categorically not suitable for gooseberry barley straw and other long-grain grains. Also avoid wet and stale material with mold elements.
From the first days of life for goslings temperature is important. In the cold, they will lump together and crush each other, and in excessive heat they may die. Besides, temperature parameters must match the age category of chicks:
- conditions are recommended for individuals of the first week of life at +27 - +28 ° С,
- from 15 days of age the temperature within +24 - +26 ° С is shown to geese,
- the brood, which lived to 20 days after hatching, may be in conditions of +18 - +23 ° С.
For the young, daylight hours should last not less than 14 hours. But if you install lamps for heating, which will continuously work throughout the day, the young will not suffer. On the contrary, in the first 7 days of life, goslings need the support of the temperature regime, and such care will be just the way for them. Long-term coverage will help to improve the metabolic processes, which in turn will lead to a good appetite for the wards, as well as their growth.
Video: goose brooder
During the day, in clear, warm weather, the young with their mother from the first days of life can be let out on the street for walking. Better for that equip a small aviarywhere birds will be protected from predators and other hazards. In this way, you gradually accustom your birds to pasture.
In conditions of poor ventilation, dampness is observed in the goose-bob, which ultimately leads to a massive loss of livestock. Therefore, experts advise to periodically ventilate the room and prevent air from stagnating in it. Optimum humidity should not exceed 65 percent. In warm weather, ventilation hatches can be left open even at night. Also keep an eye on the cleanliness of the litter, because this is one of the main factors that influence the humidity of the atmosphere in the house. Ideally, it should be changed every other day.
Feeders and drinkers
Without these attributes, no goose can imagine. Their aesthetic qualities should be considered in the last turn, in the foreground - convenience and practicality.
For mineral and dry feed, wooden vessels are better suited, and for mash, plastic and metal. The sizes of feeders depend on the number of birds kept. Many craftsmen make their own devices themselves, while providing for as little as possible feed losses. After all, geese love to climb inside, as a result of which they scatter food. To prevent this from happening, gardeners build feeders from cut galvanized pipes, and a rail is stuffed on top of wooden structures, which allows the bird to stick inside only the head.
Drinking bowls and feeders, it is important to install on a special lattice, under which place trays for collecting water. This avoids excessive moisture and maintain the health of the young.
You can not put open containers with water in the house for geese. Do not forget that we are talking about waterfowl representatives of the fauna, who immediately climb into the pond to swim. Of course, after such a trick to drink, this water will already be unusable. Therefore, in order not to stand over the brood with a bucket of clean water, experienced poultry farmers advise installing structures with an automatic water supply, which is a small barrel with a hose and a special device that controls the flow of liquid into the drinker. For grown-ups, a homemade metal pipe vessel with blocked sides and slotted drinking holes would be ideal. But the little chicks need to choose the capacity, which will not allow them to choke.
What to feed the goslings
As soon as the little goslings dry, they can be offered the first food. In the future, the daily diet is formed depending on the age of the feathered wards.Daily chicks are fed every 3 to 4 hours, and by the end of the first week the number of feedings is minimized by 4 times for 24 hours. A special diet of geese is maintained until the growth of the feathers.
Prevention of typical for geese salmonellosis, pasteurellosis, colibacillosis, aspergillosis, neyserioza and other diseases is closely related to the observance of the veterinary and sanitary requirements in the poultry house, and also includes a number of additional measures. And they begin long before the appearance of goslings.
Here are the basic measures that each housings should take:
- In the room where you plan to place the goose with your brood, arrange a general cleaning in a few weeks: remove the old litter and litter, clean the floor with any disinfectant (you can use a 2% caustic soda solution), whiten the ceiling and walls, disinfect the inventory and equipment.
- 5 days before planting chicks in the pen, cover the floor with fresh and dry straw. In winter, the litter is thickened to 15 centimeters. In the future, pay special attention to places near the troughs and feeders and do not allow moisture in the room. Keep in mind that the moisture of the litter layer should not exceed 25 percent.
- Be sure to disinfect the area for walking.
- In order for the sucking parasites not to attack the goose hen, at the bottom of its nest, under the litter, pour a mixture of wood ash and any insecticide. You can use natural herbal preparations: wormwood, Persian chamomile.
- Keep an eye on the clean bedding in the nests and in the house. This is a guarantee that the causative agents of popular avian diseases, including aspergillosis and paratyphoid fever, will not huddle on eggs.
- For further fattening, only healthy youngsters are suitable, in which active mobility is observed, the healed umbilical ring and brilliant pusenie are observed.
- On the first day of life, the goslings are recommended to drink a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate, which will protect them from infections of the gastrointestinal tract. Also during this period, it is shown as a tonic to add glucose to food at the rate of 1―2 grams per head.
- Goslings have a very sensitive digestive tract, so in the first month and a half of their life this aspect should be given special attention. For this purpose, youngsters who are 11–12 days old are given, according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, the drug Kormogrizin K – 5. At 13–14 days of life, the impurities “Biovita 120” are shown, and for 15–20 days - “Parafoma”. In addition, from 10 to 40 days the chicks can be given "Sodium Selenite".
- Cold weather, drafts and dampness can be the cause of sinusitis, inflammation of the maxillary sinuses in young offspring, as well as in adult geese. If sick individuals appear in the herd, they must be separated at that time, and sulfanilamide drugs should be given for the rest.
- Be sure to monitor the freshness of feed, do not let sour, moldy or putrid residues in the feeders. Also, geese of any age do not need to be fed frozen and treated with toxic chemicals.
- Be serious about balanced diet wards. При правильном питании у них будет крепкий иммунитет.
- На выпасах обязательно обустраивайте для гусят навесы с поилками. Особенно опасно для гусят пастбище после дождя либо во время обильной росы. Подобные обстоятельства вызывают у птенцов вздутие желудков и вирусные энтериты.
- Ежедневно проводите осмотр своего гусиного стада. Grow weak and stunted individuals separately.
Competent choice of the younger generation
The first thing you should pay attention to when buying chickens is umbilical cord healing and softness of the abdomen. From the correct and fair approach, will depend on the success of the whole business. Here are some tips:
- The first is do not purchase goslings from unverified suppliers. Here, no one will give you a full guarantee that the product quality. The surface fluff of the goslings should be of yellow color.
- Pay attention to the activity. Drowsiness and immobility, a clear sign of the disease. Healthy chicks can not stay calm for a long time, they quickly react to the slightest sound and movement.
- To inspect the ass. If it is damp, then this indicates a violation of the digestive tract or some kind of infection.
- Recommended age - 7 months. Quite small chicks may not adapt to new environmental conditions.
By the time of arrival of new tenants, the room must be prepared.
Requirements for keeping goslings at home
Growing goose brood is troublesome, but not difficult. If after 2 weeks in a new place, all the wards are alive and well, then it will continue.
The room should be dry and warm, with a dense bed of hay or sawdust. Be sure to have ventilation. Previously, the entire space is disinfected with soda solution or bleach. The air warms up to 22-25 degrees.
For small birds, the first thing you need is the optimal temperature regime for a stable schedule. It looks like this:
- The first 3 days - 28-30 degrees.
- The next 2 days in the range of 25-28 degrees.
- Reducing the temperature to the level of 23-25 for 5 and 6 days.
- 8–10 day - 22 degrees,
- Gradual decrease to 18, every 4 days.
As a result, by the twentieth day of young stocking on the farm, the ambient temperature is at least 17-18 degrees. If the kids start to freeze, then they do not stick out from each other. When they have increased thirst, it is a result of dry air. Adults need constant daylight, which decreases as they grow older.
To the birds was comfortable, on 1 square. m do not lodge more than eight goals. Be sure to have a walking area nearby. For the full development of brood, you need fresh air. It is very convenient when the content falls for a warm period. Then goslings can be walked on fresh grass all day with breaks for the night.
The key to successful home keeping goslings is proper nutrition. The first days it is better to limit the finished feed formulations. The main thing that they were soft consistency, but not watery. Their composition includes the following components: cottage cheese, egg, bran, oatmeal and crushed peas. Permissible to mix pumpkin, potatoes and grass. After a few weeks, you can try to give food waste.
For the prevention of various diseases, it is necessary to feed the chicks milk solution with penicillin and sugar. In addition, add vitamins A, B, E, D. It should be noted that the monthly chick is able to consume up to 1 kg of green grass per day.
In addition to food, geese need fine gravel or coarse sand. They periodically peck at it, which has a beneficial effect on digestion. If the rearing of poultry herds predetermines its slaughter for meat, then the menu includes highly concentrated feed mixtures and a lot of greenery. Properly composed and nutritional standards, helps to get a quick set of body weight and improve the quality of meat.
All diseases of the goose character, are divided into several categories:
- Non-contagious - It is avitaminosis, rickets, indigestion and so on. Here the reason should be sought in violation of the diet and content. One or several individuals may suffer, but a mass epidemic does not threaten.
- Diseases of the reproductive system - this is yolk peritonitis. Disappears with the careful care and sanitization of the genitals.
- Infectious, for example: salmonellosis, cholera, aspergillosis and others. Able to lead to the total death of young.
- Parasitic - may be internal or external lesions.
- Toxicwhen indisposition is provoked by poisoning. To avoid this, we need constant monitoring of the quality of feed, grass in pasture.
Maintaining goslings in a healthy form is primarily beneficial to the farmer himself. This concerns the financial side of the issue. After all, most are raised for sale.
What to feed the little home goslings in the first days of life
Feeding the goslings is usually done in the same way as feeding the chickens. In the first days of life they feed hard-boiled eggs, then the same eggs, with the addition of crumbly porridge, fresh low-fat cottage cheese, finely chopped greens. In drinking bowls should be clean drinking water. Potassium permanganate is added to it once a day to obtain a pale pink stain or a weak solution of St. John's wort broth to prevent gastrointestinal diseases.
Table "Approximate ration for feeding goslings (g per 1 goal per day)":