Any poultry can fly, although for centuries a person has been trying to wean her from flying. Long-haul flights for domestic chicken, duck or turkey are not capable of, but they are able to overcome a rather high fence. Bring such flights can only be in trouble with their neighbors, the destroyed crop in the garden. There may be injuries in overcoming the fences, an attack on a bird of dogs or their death under the wheels of passing vehicles. Various infectious diseases acquired outside the fenced territory or the consumption of feathered domestic animals for eating poor-quality random feeds are not excluded.
The hen is quite capable of overcoming a fence up to 3 meters high. Usually such flights occur when the bird scares anything. Sometimes flights are associated with a lack of water or feed in the pen, especially grass that the hen sees behind the fence.
It is worth a chicken once fly over the fence, it will do it all the time. It should cut the wings of chickens, so as not to fly.
The procedure is performed in the following order:
- catch the chicken
- press tight to yourself
- spread the wing
- trim five or six centimeters with feathers with scissors.
It is enough, and even better, to trim only one wing, then the chicken’s attempt to soar will end in failure due to loss of balance in flight. The procedure is painless for the bird, but pruning will have to be done twice a year as the trimmed feathers grow.
The most difficult part of the trimming operation is catching a chicken. And when their number is quite large, the task of catching chickens becomes very difficult.
It is recommended to perform the trimming at night..
Turning off the light in the chicken coop and lighting it only with a small flashlight, you can safely take chickens blinded in the dark. Alternately, bringing them to the light, cutting off the wings and launching the trimmed ones into a separate pen, you can cope with the work quite quickly and without any special problems for yourself and without stress for the birds.
It is not necessary to trim the feathers at chickens incubating hens. Wings while incubating eggs serve as a tool for turning them in the nest. When chicks hatch and live, warming and hiding under their mother, the wings act as a temperature regulator and protect the offspring.
Turkey only looks like a sedate and unhurried bird. In fact, he can easily overcome the high enclosure of the cage and fly at a speed of about 25 kilometers per hour, despite the very decent weight of an adult bird, reaching 35 kg.
It is easy to cut a turkey wings, but it is difficult for one person to cope with an adult bird, an assistant is required. It is enough to cut the wing feathers of the wing or tail by ten centimeters so that the bird stops flying before their next regrowth. Trimming feathers from turkeys is sometimes done three times a year.
There are other ways to restrict the flight of turkeys: cauterizing the wing of poults at the age of one day and tying up the wings, but it would be right to invite a specialist for these procedures. Of all the breeds of turkeys, only white broad-chested are unable to fly.
Perennial selection of domestic ducks has led to almost complete weaning from flying. But certain breeds, more than others close to wild relatives, including indoot, can fly high enough and are able to overcome the three-meter fence. The ability to fly is often manifested in them with sudden fright.
In order that the duck could not fly away, the primary feathers intended for raising of a bird in air are shortened to it. They are the largest, they are difficult to confuse with others. Trimming should be carried out with sharp scissors, you need to cut about eight centimeters.
Domestic geese are also capable of flying, albeit low. Their feathering is done in the same way as domestic ducks, but the goose is larger and heavier than a duck, therefore it is better to perform cutting work with an assistant.
It is very important to trim the feathers on only one wing. If both wings are cut, the duck and the goose will fly anyway. Is pruned after the end of the molt. You can not trim the wings of ducks until they reach the age of 15 weeks.
Are turkeys flying or not?
Flying wild turkey
Domestic turkeys are considered the largest poultry. Their weight depends on the breed and conditions of detention: on average, the weight of males can reach 13-24 kg, and turkeys - from 7 to 14 kg.
In terms of home care for beginner farmers, the question may arise:
- fly turkeys, or still not?
Unfortunately, homemade turkeys fly. Despite its great weight, (there are individuals up to 30 kg), they can reach speeds of up to 25 km / h. Therefore, it is simply impossible to do without specially adopted flight prevention measures.
Wing clamp - for bird
You can make on your site and such a breed as wide-chested white turkeys, which absolutely do not fly.
Of course, most domestic turkey breeds barely fly, although some can easily overcome high barriers or climb a tree.
It is difficult to call it a flight, but, nevertheless, at one fine moment, you can miss several individuals in your aviary. Even the constant availability of food and water, a large area of the aviary and good conditions of housing will not be able to keep this bird from being able to fly away.
To help the farmer can come special methods and techniques for keeping the bird in the aviary, tested repeatedly in practice.
This can be done in several ways:
- To build a roof over the entire area of the enclosure.
- Trim wing feathers on the wings.
- To confuse the wings of turkeys with the help of a bake.
- To cauterize the wings in daily turkey poults.
One of the methods of keeping turkeys in an open-air cage is undercutting wing feathers on the wings, after which these birds no longer fly. Opinions of veterinarians and farmers, regarding the need for cutting feathers, not only among turkeys, but also the rest of poultry, were divided. Although most people still tend to the fact that trimming, in some cases, is simply necessary.
The advantages of this method include the following points:
- Performed by all the rules, trimming the wings will allow the bird owner to get rid of the headache that turkeys can fly to someone else's kitchen garden and harm there or fly away.
- Turkeys are freedom loving birds, so they explore new places with pleasure. This can lead not only to injury or illness of the bird, but also its death.
Trimming the wings of a bird
Dear visitors, save this article in social networks. We publish very useful articles that will help you in your business. Share it! Click!
- If the wings were cut off from future hens, this could have a negative effect on the future incubation process.
- The trimmed part of the feathers changes badly when molting, so during this period it will be necessary to follow the complete renewal of the plumage.
- The trimming procedure should be carried out after each molt.
How to trim the wings of turkeys?
Several factors depend on the correct pruning:
- first is the health of the bird.
- secondly, it is the result of keeping the bird in the aviary.
To make the process of trimming the wings as simple and easy as possible, you need to follow these rules:
Should chickens and other poultry need to trim wings
Chickens and other poultry are able to rise into the air to a height of 2 meters, some - up to 2.5 meters. Therefore, they easily fly over the enclosure enclosure.The most difficult thing in this business is to catch and keep chickens, to catch a chicken is not so easy, for this you can show a little trick.
Outside the fence feathers:
- dogs, cats, other predators may be attacked,
- risk getting under the wheels of vehicles
- can become infected with dangerous diseases
- risk becoming a victim of strangers.
For a farmer, the stay of pets outside the aviary is also undesirable: chickens and ducks, hitting the garden, spoil the crops, garden bushes. Chickens love to swarm in the ground, and ducks, geese - pinching seedlings.
Not all vets are supporters of the procedure.
There are separate arguments against cutting feathers:
- Hatching chicks, birds use feathers for uniform warming up and regular turning of eggs. Quoc spread over the clutch, warming it, wing wings help to keep warm.
- Ducks long feathers are an attribute of beauty necessary to attract the opposite sex. An individual with trimmed feathers is not considered to be attractive.
- After trimming, feathers fade poorly, the owner often has to pull them out with his hands, helping the feathered. The difficult process of molting makes them nervous, they are not gaining weight and are rushing.
Step-by-step instruction and diagram of the correct trimming of the wings in chickens
To carry out the procedure, you must perform the following:
- Catch the chicken. It is not easy to do: chickens are fearful and temperamental birds. There are several tricks. Since they see poorly at dusk, in the early morning, I can catch fishing for pruning at this particular time. It will be enough just to go into the chicken coop and remove the hens, roosters from the perch, transporting them to the place of cutting. Another way of catching is to separate chickens intended for a haircut into a separate pen, catch them, moving closer and covering them with a box or basket. After shearing birds should be placed separately from the remaining individuals in a specially enclosed space inside the enclosure or back to the chicken coop. A good method of catching is to fill the birds with tasty food and catch them one by one without frightening the others.
- Prepare the tools and call an assistant. Sharp scissors are usually used for cutting.
- Trim the feathers. One firmly holds the bird under the chest, with its hands pressed to itself, the legs of the chicken should be retracted. The other one straightens the wing and quickly cuts off the feathers by half with scissors, but not more than 5-6 centimeters from the edge.
Trimming Feathers of Domestic Ducks and Geese
It is enough for ducks and geese to trim feathers on one wing only once a year. Wings are cut to adult birds, usually at the beginning of autumn, when they have the instinct to fly to the south.It is enough for ducks and geese to trim feathers on one wing only once a year.
The pruning should begin after the ducks reach the age of 15 weeks, the geese - 17: the birds must undergo the necessary molting. Pruning is done in the same way as in chickens: half the length of the feathers is cut.
Practice also trimming through one pen. Geese, ducks, sitting on the eggs, cutting is not carried out for the purpose of preservation of offspring.
Important! Also, birds are not mowed at the beginning and at the end of the moult feathers.
For the right haircut will need:
- Sharpened big scissors. Often use scissors for metal pruner. Experienced farmers cut the wings with a hatchet for the birds: the helper holds the bird, pressing it to the ground, the farmer spreads the wing and, with a sharp, sharp movement, cuts off 6 cm from the edge of the feathers.
- Dark dense fabric of at least 50 × 50 cm. They are used to cover the bird's head for comfort.
- Heavy household gloves to the elbow. They serve to protect your hands.
- Cart, box. It is necessary for catching and carrying birds.