Aphids on currant branches appear in early spring, when only the leaves bloom. True signs of gallic aphids are reddish or orange swellings of galls, black and green aphids cause severe deformation of the leaves, they curl up into a ball, or curl up into a tube.
If there is a possibility and enthusiasm, you need to take care of currants from early spring, and in warm regions from the end of winter.
Scalding currants with boiling water
Scalding bushes with boiling water helps to some extent as a preventive measure against aphids and kidney mites. As soon as the snow begins to melt, there are already thawed patches, and the trees and bushes are still asleep, only a circle of earth at the base of the trunks is freed from the snow, you can prepare for the procedure.
Heated boiling water in an iron bucket, pour it into a metal watering can and go to water. Water must be prepared in advance, because one bush of currants or gooseberries goes from 5 to 10 liters of hot water (it cools down until you bring it to the berries). A shower head is absolutely necessary to the watering can, so that the irrigation goes in thin streams, and not by a wide stream of hot water.
Before watering again, make sure that the buds are sleeping, not swollen.
- What gives watering with boiling water: a part of the aphid eggs lays directly on the branches, if you take a magnifying glass you can see them - small grains near the kidneys. And inside the kidneys the kidney mite winters, scalding with boiling water helps to significantly hit this pest. If you see that some buds are thickened (currant bud), immediately pull out and into the fire. By the way, scalding protects well from powdery mildew!
To water or not to water currants with boiling water? I have long doubted whether I am doing the right thing with scalding, I haven’t been scalding for some years, and there have always been more aphids and ticks during these seasons. The problem is that when the pests start to rage, it is still very cold outside, and any chemical solutions have temperature limitations, only folk remedies remain, but they are effective only with repeated spraying, sometimes it is too tiring and long.
Scalding procedure itself is not easy in practice - you need to heat a lot of water (like on a hot morning on bricks or a brazier), it also strains to walk around the garden with a watering can, this is work for a man. Large currant bushes watered stand on the bench to process everything completely. Therefore, everyone must decide for himself whether this procedure suits him or not.
Gardeners often practice fumigating the bushes with aphids by burning various means. Harness rubber, tobacco and mushroom rain.
All fumigation well help, just start it is not necessary to bud break, namely at the moment when the kidneys began to swell and are ready for disclosure.
The easiest way is to put a piece of a burning bicycle tire or tire in the old pan and put it under the bush.
For fungi and tobacco use beekeepers smoker, mushrooms are suitable only large, ripe.
As far as all this helps: real results were given by fumigation, which lasted three hours. We fumigated with tobacco from 7 pm to 10 pm (in calm weather), the aphid died almost completely. Enough once. After that, it was enough to trace the anthills.
Cons of the method: the easiest way to fumigate with rubber is to put it under bushes and leave, it smolders, there is a lot of smoke. Fumigation with mushrooms and tobacco in the beekeeper's smoker is very slow, it is impossible to move away, you need to walk around the currant bushes and inflate the fur. The smoke is thick and acrid. You can decompose the damp leaves of tobacco smolder in a small brazier, but it is impractical - you need to control the wind for a very long time (if a dozen currant bushes).
Conclusions: I believe that fumigation is not worth wasting time and your health, the products of combustion are too toxic for humans.
Inspect the bushes
Spring began, the buds turned green, and then the young leaves bloomed. Inspect the currants, especially the tips of the shoots, if suddenly the leaves began to curl into lumps, the corrugation appeared, immediately we cut them into the stove.
In the future, you need to follow the shape of the leaves, rarely when you can get rid of aphids by 100%, but you can restrain its rapid reproduction.
Do not forget to timely trim the currants, we cut out old branches and partially young, if the bush is thickened.
How to process currants from aphids
Young currant branches bend well and it is not as prickly and branched as gooseberries, so you can not only spray it, but also dip branches into a solution of insecticide chemicals or any recipe from aphids.
I do this: I dilute the insecticide solution, usually it is Aktara or Decis Profi in proportions to a bucket of water, always warm (no less than 20 degrees). I prepare a shoulder pump sprayer (not a hand-held sprayer).
I walk up to the bushes and take turns dipping all the branches, trying not to miss a single one. Leaflets by then barely blossomed, the size of a ruble coin. She dipped, poured, let go.
And so every bush. Then I pour from the bucket into the sprayer, and spray all the bushes, now from the base of the branches to the tips, and certainly the soil under the bush.
- When processing the garden from aphids it is important patience, careful spraying.
- It is important to guess the weather - in the morning or in the evening, always windless.
- It is important to choose an insecticide that can work at a certain temperature (some are ineffective in the heat, others in the cold).
- It is important not to poison the bees with chemicals, we in the garden and garden need pollinators.
- It is important to predict the rains so that all the spraying works are not wasted the next day.
- When spraying the sprayer tube, push it deep into the bush and direct it in different directions, so the underside of the leaves is better wetted.
Aphids on currants
I have my own secret - a decoction of onion peel, it helps very well, but you need a lot of raw materials. On a bucket of water half a bucket of well-packed onion peel.
I found a way out in the preparation of raw materials - all winter I go to the vegetable department of the store, there very often the buyers take out the onions, and there is a lot of husk in the trays and baskets, it is usually thrown out. I ask for permissions and pack entire packages for free.
Onion peel is poured with boiling water and boiled for 10-15 minutes to destroy the spores of harmful microorganisms in the husk. Then leave the broth until the morning.
Strain, add a tablespoon of green soap. Pour into the sprayer and forth with the song of the war on the aphids. Start spraying onion peels as early as possible. I repeat at least 3-4 times.
I want to note that there is no special recipe for the treatment of bushes and trees, except for onions you can also be processed by other means, in this case it is important to have a good tool. The entire success of the enterprise depends on the sprayer. If the device is good, just fill in the solution, fix the button and stand at the bush, or rather, slowly go around it in a circle.
Aphid repellent plants
There are plants that can scare away aphids from currants and other berries. These are catnip, marigold, mustard, coriander, chives, fennel, garlic, mint.
I must say that such planting does not guarantee disposal of aphids. I planted garlic, catnip and marigolds around the currant, helped weakly, perhaps it was necessary to enclose the currant bush in a close circle of defenders so that neither the ants nor the aphids would creep up, but I did not want to fly in the manner of Carlson with a bowl in hand, collecting berries.
Therefore, especially do not rely on the protection of these plants, although most of them attract beneficial insects to the garden, not only bees, but also tumuli and ground beetles that eat aphids.
Folk remedies for aphids
During my gardening history, I tried various means to get rid of aphids. And I made my rating, periodically testing one method or another. In no case do not claim, just share my impressions:
In my garden, spraying yarrow and chamomile were completely useless: preparing a solution of 100 g of dry grass to 1 liter of water, boil, cool, drain, add soap.
I didn’t like tly, but spraying of tomato leaves, dandelion leaves and roots (500 g leaves + 200 g roots, insist on boiling water for a day) was not statistically significant.
Citrus infusions helped from aphids: the peels were frozen and not dried. Chop the crust from one orange and steam it with 1 liter of boiling water, when it cools, added 2 drops of hand detergent. But then I checked, not all citrus fruits help, there are such varieties of mandarins and oranges, which have very rich crusts - if you chew on your tongue, it is necessary.
Another effective tool: steamed leaves of celandine, if it grows in your area. I have it full, it grows even under the bushes of currants and gooseberries and, in this form, the aphids are not scary at all. But an armful of chopped and steamed leaves in a bucket of boiling water significantly reduced the number of aphids.
This method helps from aphids: in warm weather, when the water is not cold, it is necessary to water currant bushes under a strong pressure of the hose, some of the aphids are simply knocked over with water. Then sprinkle on the wet leaves with powder from the mixture: 1 cup of ash (fine sifted), 1 teaspoon of mustard powder. The method is effective before the leaves twist and deform, when the leaves are still small and well visible skeletal branches.
But you should not delude yourself about folk remedies, especially when, besides currant, the aphids chose plums, cherries, and rose bushes — if they are massively damaged by pests, you can’t get enough of the folk remedies — they don’t get to the aphids in the twisted leaves. Then the systemists are here to help: Aktara, Konfidor, Tanrek, Apache - they permeate the sheet through, and the aphid dies anyway.
Fight against ants
Who has not tried, he should know what to expect - a long war. Ants cherish aphids, cultivate, someone even assures that they milk - they tickle them on the side until it is described with sweet syrup. I myself have not seen, I will not lie.
Against the ants I tried chemistry and various herbs, skirts and velcro on the trunks, they, by the way, helped on plums and cherries, but not put such protection on the currants, it is necessary to eradicate the anthills in the area.
What helps from ants: pee in the nest from the heart, and watering with boiling water with acetic acid (for 1 liter of boiling water 1 tablespoon of 9% vinegar). Urine and acid are categorically disgusting to them.
I fight with ants only in spring and early summer, the rest of the time, all useful living creatures in the garden struggle with them. I do not know exactly who eats ants, except for hedgehogs, but even without my efforts their number drastically decreases, and with them the number of aphids.
If you want to use chemical poisons of industrial production, then pay attention that the drug was designed specifically for the destruction of black garden ants. Funds from the domestic red ant do not work.
Maintain cleanliness in the garden, do not plant weeds to the waist, while mowing, inconspicuous anthills will be visible.
What is dangerous aphid
It feeds on the sap of young leaves and shoots, inhibiting currants, not allowing them to fully grow. The most juicy and promising parts of the plant are amazed, the bush withers, the berries dry and fall away.
A huge colony of pests, and aphid is also a carrier of more than 100 viral diseases, destroys the crop and causes the bushes to die.
What does a pest look like?
Aphids are 2-3 millimeter insects with a piercing-sucking oral cavity. Their color is light green, yellowish green and whitish, translucent.
Aphids eggs (oval, black, length 0.5 mm.) Winter in basal shoots, fallen leaves and shoots in the zone of leaf buds. In the spring, a little warm sun, begins active hatching. One overwintered female aphid will give birth to 100 individuals, and in two weeks each of these babies will give another 100.
It is easy to guess that reproduction is going on at an astounding pace, and during the growing season huge herds are formed, absorbing garden plants.
Garden ants also help them to winter, as we know, they are her companions and guards. Ants eat carbohydrate secretions of insects, help to move from branch to branch, and when the onset of cold weather, they lay their eggs in their nests. In the spring, on the contrary, they carry them to the branches and begin to milk their nurses.
The colony of aphids on one bush is very large, when there is little food, winged forms begin to hatch and be transferred to neighboring bushes, this happens closer to autumn.
Currants are attacked by two types of aphids: gallic (leaf) and gooseberry (shoots). The first settles on white and red views, the second spoils the black one. The means of combating one and the other are the same.
What do the affected bushes look like?
If you see a large number of ants near the currant bushes or on it, you know, aphid here as here. Inspect the bush and you will see the following signs:
- Reddish, brown swellings on the leaves are characteristic of red and white currants.
- Twisted young leaves are typical of black currant.
- Leaflets and shoots are sticky - another sign that aphid has settled.
- Many dry leaves, twigs, tassels with berries.
The currant, on which the aphids settle, stops in growth, it can be observed that the shoots grow poorly, they are bent, because the very tops are occupied and damaged.
What folk remedies help
Chemicals are used in the fight against aphids, but when we start worrying about the loss of the crop - correctly, in June. And then I do not want to poison the plant, it is desirable to save the berries, so as to boil jam and compotes.
Therefore, we will leave insecticides for autumn, and in the spring and summer we will try safe control measures - folk remedies. This is all kinds of infusions, decoctions of herbs and pharmaceutical preparations, cleaning products and food.
One liter jar of dried husk pour 2-3 liters of water and boil. Leave to insist for a day or two. Then strain, add 1 tablespoon of liquid or laundry soap and double the volume of the liquid.
Two large heads of garlic skip through a meat grinder and dissolve in a bucket of warm water. Spray filtered infusion every other day.
Half a bucket of fresh grass of celandine or 200 grams of pharmacy, dry fill with a bucket of water. Insist for two days and filter, then sprinkle currants from aphids.
The more effective is the method with non-food soda, only it should be diluted in warm water, since it is calcined in cold water. The composition is prepared as follows:
- 2 tablespoons soda ash
- 1 teaspoon iodine
- 2 tbsp. l household or liquid soap shavings
- 10 liters of water
When and how to process
Spraying broths and infusions can be carried out throughout the growing season, one time just is not enough. A more convenient time of day for work is evening. Choose dry and windless weather so that the precipitations do not wash out the residuals of the funds, and the wind does not prevent the liquid jets from reaching their destination.
Tip! Processing is best done from a small spray gun, so you can spray the bushes from the bottom to the top, grab the most affected places, and also roll out and pour the curled leaves on the black currant.
They will be useful in order not to provoke or feed the aphids at the site, because you need to deal with this pest systematically and regularly. It is not enough to spray a bush once and forget about aphid forever. This parasite can remind about itself.
- Every year collect and burn fallen leaves, cut root shoots and tops (these are fat shoots that grow on old branches). It is here that aphids overwinter in large quantities.
- Dig and loosen in autumn in the near-trunk space.
- Look for ant nests in the fall and spring, immediately after the snow melted, destroy them with boiling water, store tools and insecticides will do.
- Cut out twisted twigs that have suffered from aphids and burn them, and in the fall also look for eggs on others - dots, clean them and process them.
- At the base of the branch, whitewash with lime or a solution of ferrous sulfate (see instructions).
- Spread for aphids are plants that serve as shelter, but not food (they usually eat the specimens we need) - this is viburnum, mallow, kosmeya, nasturtium, linden, corn. Try to reduce their numbers in the area, or plant them in remote corners, because they can begin to infect the entire garden: apples, pears, plums, bushes, cucumbers.
- In order to have ladybugs, hoverflies and earwigs in the garden, put feeding troughs with large shavings, bark, straw in the cabin where they spend the winter, and in the spring they will start aphid.
- Plant near or lay out (cook infusions) with mint, lavender, thyme, lupine, sage, clover, sweet clover, dill, carrot.
Try to keep the currant bushes and other plants in the garden in a tidy, healthy state, timely identify and fight against parasites, which are also carriers of viruses, fungi. Do not give crops to pests.
How to recognize aphids on currants. What is dangerous insect
This pest has been preparing for a new summer season since autumn: it lays the larvae that overwinter on plants. In the spring, black, green, brown insects multiply rapidly, feeding on the sap of young trees and bushes. Признаки тли на смородине:
Attention! Начиная бороться с тлей, уничтожьте муравейник, который наверняка находится где-то рядом со смородиной. Например, полейте его кипятком или используйте инсектициды.
Пик активности тли припадает на июнь. Over the summer, several generations of insects are born. When there is a lack of food for all individuals on one bush or tree, the winged forms of this pest appear. They fly to neighboring plants in search of a new place of residence and food. Because of aphids, currants lose nutrients and do not develop, and also begin to suffer from viral infections. Therefore, it is necessary to remove aphids from the site from early spring.
Popular wisdom on guard crop of currants: recipes
- Ash solution. Pour 2 tbsp. powder hot water (3 liters), add 1 tbsp. l soap - household or liquid, leave for 24 hours, spray the bushes from the spray.
- Tincture of onion or garlic. The first method: chop 1 kg of green onions, fill with a bucket of water, let it brew for 6 hours, then strain and spray the bushes. The second method involves the use of onion peel. It is filled with water and insist 5 days. At 0.5 kg of husk need a bucket of liquid. To prepare garlic tincture, 500 g of crushed heads need to pour 5 liters of water and leave for about a day.
- Soap solution. Preparing is very simple: in 1 tbsp. water add 2 tbsp. l liquid soap or dish detergent. Stir and spray bushes.
- Medication with ammonia. Dilute 2 tbsp. l medicine in a bucket of water. Add some laundry powder and spray the bushes. After 14 days, repeat.
- The drug is based on tobacco. Pour 100 g of dust or shag with 1 l of water and boil for about 1 hour. Cool and use for spraying, after diluting 300 ml of tincture with a bucket of water. Repeat the procedure after 2 days.
- Soda Ash Solution. Prepared at the rate of 1 tbsp. l powder to 1 liter of water.
- Tincture marigolds. Half a bucket of crushed dried flowers fill with warm water and leave for 3 days. Then strain, add 50 g of soap and spray the bushes.
- Remedy with red pepper. 1 kg of fresh hot pods pour 10 liters of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat for about 1 h. Remove for a few days in a warm place, then strain and keep in the refrigerator. For processing, take 1 tbsp. solution and mix it with a bucket of water.
- Tincture celandine. Crush 4 kg of freshly cut grass and cover with a bucket of water. In a day, the natural insecticide is ready.
Attention! Celandine is poisonous, so protect your skin and eyes.
Chemicals for pest control. Prevention
If folk recipes do not save, and the degree of destruction of bushes has reached a large scale, you should think about the use of chemistry. Among the drugs there are different groups of insecticides. Contact act, falling directly on the insect itself. Intestinal enter the body of the pest with food treated with pesticides. Systemic make the plant poisonous for a long time, penetrating into all its parts.
The first treatment with any of these funds should be carried out before the buds have blossomed. The second plan about a month before the harvest. Effective drugs against aphids are:
- Bi-58 New,
- Actellic and others
To make the poison work as efficiently as possible, follow the instructions provided with each tool.
Many gardeners to the last set aside the use of chemicals, hoping for "grandmother's" methods or organic. However, in some cases, insecticides really can not do. If you do not want to bring currants and other crops on your site to a neglected state, start with prevention:
- remove excess growth and weeds,
- clean the bark that exfoliates - the aphid likes to spend the winter in it,
- destroy ants
- plant healthy crops next to currant bushes: kosmeyu, yarrow, mallow, tansy - they attract ladybirds and insects that eat aphids,
- properly care for plants: water, feed, mulch.
On the healthy leaves of the currant, the tle will be uncomfortable. But do not overdo it with nitrogen fertilizer. They provoke a wild growth of greenery, and this attracts pests. In the fight against them, you need to show patience and act systematically. Although it is difficult to remove an aphid from the garden, it is quite possible if it is started on time.
How to detect aphids on currants
Most often, a gallic aphid settles on currants - a small sucking insect. Aphids feed on young shoots and currant leaves. You can find a colony of pests on the bottom of a currant leaf. Red or yellow swellings are formed on the damaged leaves, and the galls are formed as hillocks.
Aphids parasitize during the season, wintering pest under the bark of annual shoots. The female lays eggs closer to the kidneys. In spring, when the weather is warm, the larvae come out and feed on young leaves.
Around the middle of July, when the currant leaves cease to grow, the aphids appear wings. At this point, the pest leaves the shrub. If there are a lot of weeds around the landings, the gallic aphid will move on them, where it will feed until autumn. During the season, more than one generation of pests is emerging, which in autumn, approximately in September, migrate back to the currant bush. Females begin laying eggs.
Gallic aphids on currant bushes are a big danger, especially for young plants. Loose shrubs affected by a large number of pests are unable to grow normally. The yield of adult bushes drops sharply, the berry shrinks.
How to deal with aphids on currant bushes
One of the important factors in the fight against gall aphids in currants is prevention. From early spring you need to carry out the main preventive measures:
• be sure to remove all weeds under the bushes,
• carry out sanitary pruning of the bush, cutting out all the diseased branches,
• attract beneficial insects that feed on gallic aphids, such as ladybugs,
• conduct spring scalding of the bush with boiling water.
Important!If ladybirds and a golden-eye dwelling on the currant bushes have settled, then insecticides should be used carefully. It is better to replace them with infusions of herbs. Beneficial insects will help to quickly get rid of aphids.
By attracting beneficial insects to the garden, you can get rid of gall aphids without resorting to chemicals. To attract insects experienced gardeners practice planting medicinal plants under currant bushes:
Many insects that are good for the garden prefer to live in dill or buckwheat plantations.
How to get rid of aphids on currants: fumigating garden
Very often one of the methods of dealing with aphids is fumigating the garden. Experienced gardeners practice fumigation with rubber, tobacco and fungus.
It is necessary to carry out fumigation before bud break, at the time of their disclosure.
• Fumigation with rubber is carried out as follows: put a bush of rubber in the old pan and put it under the currant bush.
• Fumigation with tobacco and fungus with a raincoat is carried out with the help of beekeeper’s smoker.
It is necessary to fumigate a garden not less than three hours. This should be done in the evening, in calm weather. Aphids die completely, there is no need to use chemicals.
The downside of this method is acrid smoke, which is bad for human health.
Fighting aphids on currants: treating bushes with chemicals
To get rid of the colonies of gallic aphids in the currants will help chemicals that need to be applied in several stages. Use chemicals only in advanced cases and massive attacks of pests.
1. The first spraying of currants is carried out in the spring, at the time of bud break.
2. The second time you need to process when flowering shrubs.
3. Spray currants a third time better immediately after flowering.
4. The last treatment should be carried out only after full harvest.
How to treat currants from gallic aphids?
For treatments using chemicals that are dissolved in water. Well proven such drugs:
• Actellic (dilute 15 ml per 10 liters of water),
• Novaktion (dilute 5 ml per 10 liters of water).
Many summer residents recommend resorting to folk remedies during the second and third spraying, without applying chemicals.
Folk remedies in the fight against aphids on currants
Using folk remedies in the fight against aphids, you can get rid of the pest, not interrupting the beneficial insects. For these purposes, use the following infusions:
• Infusion of red hot pepper,
• Infusion of tomato tops,
• Infusion of onions and garlic,
• Ash infusion with a wormwood,
• A solution of soda ash,
1. Tobacco infusion
Prepare an infusion of tobacco dust or tobacco, with the addition of soap and water. To do this, 500 grams of tobacco dust is poured with 10 liters of water and infused mixture for several days. The finished infusion is filtered, diluted with 10 liters of water and 100 grams of grated household soap is added as an adhesive.
Spraying is carried out in the evening, in clear weather. After the rain, repeat the treatment.
2. Infusion of marigolds
Very effective in the fight against gallic aphids marigold infusion, which is prepared from dried flowers. At 10 liter bucket take ½ of the crushed marigolds, which are filled with warm water. Insist the mixture for three days. The finished solution is decanted and 50 grams of grated soap is added.
3. Infusion of red hot pepper
Prepare concentrated infusion can of red capsicum. To do this, 1 kg of fresh pepper should be cut and folded into a saucepan, pour 10 liters of cold water. Boil the mixture and simmer for 1 hour. The cooled solution is removed in a warm place for a few days. The finished solution is filtered and stored in the cold.
For spraying of the concentrate prepare the working solution. For 10 liters of water use 1 cup of concentrate. It is possible to add grated laundry soap to the solution.
Important!Ready working solution and red hot pepper are used not only in the fight against aphids. It is good to use against slugs.
4. Tomato infusion
From tomato tops you get a good infusion to fight with gall aphids on currants. To do this, dry tops of tomatoes, about 2 kg, and fresh tops of 4 kg are crushed, pouring 10 liters of water. The mixture is boiled for 30 minutes. The resulting concentrate is cooled and stored in the cold. Before spraying prepare the working solution. For this concentrate diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 5, adding grated laundry soap.
Important!The working solution of their concentrate of tomato tops can be used to combat ticks, shovels, moths, cruciferous flea and gooseberry sawfly.
5. Infusion of onions and garlic
Experienced gardeners are advised to spray currants infusion of green onion feathers. To do this, 1 kg of chopped green onions pour 10 liters of water, infuse the mixture for 6 hours. Strain the ready solution and spray it.
You can use pre-prepared onion peel. For this 500 gr. husks insist in 10 liters of water for about 5 days.
Garlic infusion has proven itself well. For its preparation, 0.5 kg of minced garlic is poured with 5 liters of water. Insist the mixture during the day. Ready infusion is used for its intended purpose.
Important!Infusions of onion and garlic not only fight against pests on the currants, but also increase the immunity of plants.
6. Ash infusion with a wormwood
Affected currant bushes are treated with aphids ash solution with the addition of wormwood. To do this, 500 grams of crushed wormwood is filled with water, about 5 liters, adding 1 cup of ash and 50 grams of soap. Mixture insist about 5 hours. Spraying is carried out with a working solution, which is prepared from 1 part of infusion and 2 parts of water.
7. Soda Ash Solution
Treat currants against aphids can be a solution of soda. Prepare a working solution of 1 tbsp. l soda ash and 1 liter of water.
Spraying with this solution will help to get rid of not only the aphids, but also banish the fungus from the shrub.
8. Infusion of celandine
Summer residents are fighting with aphids with infusion celandine. Prepare a solution of 4 kg of fresh celandine grass, which is crushed and poured with 10 liters of water. Insist the solution need a day. Ready solution spend spraying currant bushes.
Important!During the treatment of planting currant solution of celandine it is necessary to use individual protection, as the juice of celandine is very poisonous.
What to consider when processing currants from gall aphids
• The young shoots of currants are good to bend, you can dip them in any recipe-prepared product and wash them well, without the risk of breaking the branch.
• It is necessary to spray and wash each branch without missing a single section of the bush.
• It is necessary to spray not only the bush, but also the soil under it.
• The weather during processing should be windless. Using chemicals, watch out for bees. It is important not to poison the beneficial insects, which are very necessary in the garden. It is better to transfer the spraying to the evening, when the bees no longer fly.
• When spraying it is necessary to moisten the lower part of the sheet, for this purpose the sprayer is directed inside the bush.
• It is not necessary to pin high hopes on the popular ways of dealing with aphids on currants, if time is lost and the pest chose roses, plums and gooseberries. In such a situation, the use of chemicals is indispensable.
In the fight against aphids on currants, it is important to monitor the cleanliness of the site, to prevent the riot of weeds and the neighborhood of shrubs with anthills. Often spend preventive spraying infusions of herbs, monitor the density of the bush and in time cut the diseased branches.
What is aphid
Aphid is a small insect pest, no larger than a few millimeters in size. The shape and color of the body of the vegetable parasite depends on its species. Usually there is a rounded or oblong aphid, with small red or black eyes and small tendrils located on the head and functioning instead of the organs of touch and hearing.
The body of the insects is soft and uneven, without any protective layers, covered with small growths and down.
Pests are divided into two types:
- Sheet gall aphid.
- Gooseberry fruit aphid.
Since the presence of parasites on plants is very dangerous, many responsible gardeners think about how to process aphids on currants so that it disappears.
This is important to do as early as possible, since insects are able to multiply at lightning speed and quickly harm the shrub. How does this happen?
Each individual aphid is equipped with an oral trunk, which pierces young greens or tender shoots to suck the juice of the bushes. This occurs during the entire warm season, starting in the spring and ending in the fall.
In April, from the eggs of insects located near the currant buds, the larvae appear, which begin to actively harm the shrub. In the summer, a huge family of parasites consists of only females, which can breed several times in a row and which completely stick round the currant branches.
When there is not enough food, the aphids form wings, and it flies from the currant bush to the nearby weeds. However, in the fall, the malicious family will still return to the “father's house” to start laying eggs. At this time there are males who fertilize females for further procreation.
It is very important to know how to treat currants from aphids and ants, since these parasites can cause irreparable harm to your plants.
Sucking the vital juices from the stalks, the pest colony inhibits the shrub so that it cannot develop normally. The leaves of the currant begins to deform, the plant fades and dries, ceases to bear fruit and, eventually, dies.
How can you determine the defeat of the shrub in the early stages and help the diseased plant?
Signs of pests
First of all, you should regularly and carefully inspect the currant bushes: aphid is always hidden on the inner (lower) side of the leaves.
What other signs should I look for before starting a rescue operation? Here are some of them:
- growth of saplings stopped for no reason,
- branches are bent and deformed,
- twisted and distorted the shape of the leaves,
- on the outside, the leaves swell, forming red or yellow spots,
- In a large number dried shoots prevail.
What are the causes of the appearance of aphids in the currants (what to process and how to save the shrub, we learn a little lower)?
To find out what preventive measures need to be taken to prevent the appearance of aphids, it is important to find out the causes of its occurrence. They may consist of the following conditions:
- lack of necessary protective treatment of the shrub before the winter period,
- the presence in the soil of a huge number of ants that can protect and transport pests from nearby plants,
- the presence of dried and dead shoots, which must be removed on time and which can be a convenient shelter for aphids during wintering,
- the existence of a huge number of weeds around and inside the currant seedlings.
So, the causes of the appearance of parasites have been identified, garden bushes have been examined and a disappointing sentence has been passed: a currant is eaten by aphids. How to process a bush? Let's find out.
Universal pest control is a list of general rules for the destruction of parasites that are suitable for a variety of uses. Here are some principles that can be applied even for prevention purposes:
- loosening the soil around shrubs, destroying dry and dead shoots,
- elimination of weeds around currant seedlings,
- собственноручное удаление вредителей с пораженной листвы (вручную или водной струей),
- attraction of insects that feed on aphids and other pests on the garden plot (for this purpose, marigolds, tansy and yarrow can be planted in close proximity to currants),
- shrubs treatment solutions own cooking or pesticide preparations.
And now let's discuss these methods in more detail.
Boiling water to help
In most cases, the currant bush should be worried in early spring, before the flowering buds.
How to treat currants from aphids in the spring? First of all, you can think about scalding a bush with boiling water. However, this should be done even when the kidneys are not swollen.
How to start? It is necessary to heat a lot of boiling water (several buckets or barrels), pour water into an iron watering can and start watering.
This is not an easy thing. Because scalding of currants should start with the top branches, and for this you will need to stand on a chair or bench. It is also important to remember that it will take a lot of boiling water, since an average of eight to ten liters of water can be spent on one bush.
But the effect is worth it. Treatment with boiling water will help kill not only aphid, but also kidney mite, and other unpleasant pests.
There are several dozen types of synthetic drugs that can destroy the huge colonies of harmful insects. When using these substances should follow a few rules:
- It is necessary to apply means in several stages: before the appearance of buds, during flowering, immediately after flowering and after harvesting.
- It is necessary to use pesticides in especially neglected cases: when too many aphid settlements are found on shrubs, when other methods do not work, and when secondary occurrence of pests occurs.
What specific insecticides can be used to process aphids on currants? The more you learn about the intended remedy, the better. Before you buy a pesticide, it is important to gather objective reviews about it, as well as carefully study the instructions for use.
The most commonly used drugs are Karbofos, Akarin, Aktellik, Biotlin, Tanrek, Aktara, Detsis Profi, etc. Some of them can be treated with aphids on currants in June. The more thoroughly you read the instructions regarding this issue, the better. Since not all drugs can be used during the fruiting period or immediately before picking the berries.
Although it is necessary to breed each insecticide according to the instructions attached to it, there are general rules for spraying currants with poisonous solutions.
How to handle shrubs
Here are some specific tips for different types of spraying:
- In a bucket of diluted solution, dip each sprig of currants.
- Spray each escape from the sprayer (and even the soil under the bush).
- It is important to predict weather conditions (so that there will not be wind and rain in the near future).
- Use protective equipment during the treatment process: mask and gloves.
In addition to pesticides, there are other effective means by which you can treat black currants from aphids. How do they differ from chemicals? First of all, the fact that they are safer for human health.
Folk methods of struggle
Before treating currants from aphids with folk remedies, it is important to determine which substance you want to control pests with. As practice shows, it is not necessary to choose only one method. To find out which means is most effective, you can alternate infusions prepared from different components.
Garlic infusion. Grind two large heads of garlic in a meat grinder, stir in a bucket of warm water and leave to stand for a day. Strained infusion process the affected shrubs daily for two to three weeks.
Citrus Infusion. Frozen peel from 1 orange finely chopped and pour 1 liter of boiling water. After cooling, add two drops of liquid soap.
Infusion of celandine. Grind four kilograms of fresh grass, pour a bucket of water and leave for 24 hours.
Infusion of ash and wormwood. A pound of finely chopped grass pour five liters of water, add a glass of wood ash and fifty grams of soap. Let it brew for five hours. After that, the resulting infusion mix with water (1: 2 ratio) and process the currants.
Hbitter pepper. One kilogram of fresh red vegetable finely chopped, pour ten liters of water and cook over low heat for an hour. Then put in a warm room for a few days. After this, strain the infusion and mix it with water (one glass of infusion per ten liters of liquid). Optionally, in the finished solution, you can add grated soap.
As you can see, the parasitic aphid on currants is a fairly common and harmful phenomenon. It reduces harvest, ruins shrubs and causes other discomforts to both gardeners and plants. Therefore, the fight against harmful insects should begin quickly and without delay, using all available methods and means.
In addition, regular preventive measures mentioned in this article will be an important way to eliminate aphids. Then no pests can affect the health and fruiting of your currants.
What is dangerous, signs of the appearance of aphids in the currants
Before you learn how to get rid of aphids on currants, you need to find out how it harms the culture.
Insect proboscis pierces the foliage of currants and young branches to feed on plant sap.
A large colony of aphids inhibits currants, it begins to languish, fall behind in growth, does not bear fruit, and eventually dies. Also aphids, feeding on sap, can tolerate viral diseases dangerous for the plant.
With aphids affecting white and red currants, characteristic swellings (galls) are visible on the leaves and branches of reddish color, and on the black foliage twisted into a straw. It is necessary to begin the fight with gallic aphids as soon as possible.
How to get rid of aphids on currants folk methods
Folk remedies for aphids currants are cheap, safe and quite effective. For example, for spraying, you can use a mixture of wood ash and tobacco (tobacco). 400 g of one and the second substance is stirred in 10 l of water.
The fight against aphids on currants folk remedies includes the use of a solution of soda ash (1 tablespoon per 1 liter of water). In the tool add a little soap.
Successfully used for spraying the affected bushes and infusion of celandine. 3.5 kg of fresh raw materials for 24 hours, throw in 10 liters of water.
One of the most effective ways to get rid of aphids is to use wood ash. 250 g of the substance is poured boiling water (1.5-2 l). After cooling, filter, add a little soap to the liquid and add the required amount of water. Should get 10 liters of funds.
When aphids are detected in a currant, control measures may include both chemical and folk remedies, but it is better to take care of preventionwhich is to:
- treating seedlings before planting and the land under the bushes with a solution of ammonia (3-5 drops per half liter of water),
- loosening the soil near the bushes and between them
- thorough cleaning of all plant residues at the end of the season,
- bringing natural enemies of aphids to the garden plot (small birds, ladybugs),
- planting near currant plants that scare away the pest (mint, parsley, onion, coriander, basil, tomatoes, garlic, dill, coriander, yarrow, tansy, marigolds).